    Thanks
    Paul

  2. Re: Minimum Linux System for X Windows

    On 2007-05-23, Paul Thompson wrote:

    > I'm putting together an embedded system using X Windows and
    > running with an older SuSE Linux. I don't need, or want, an
    > elaborate desktop such as Gnome or KDE. What's the easiest way
    > to start an X Windows application?

    Easiest how ?

    The canonical minimal window manager is TWM. SuSE has it, or at
    least it did in version 7.1.

    If you only need one application, always the same, you could
    start it the same way the window manager is started. I don't
    know that is done on SuSE but grepping about under /etc/X11
    should reveal it. man xinit and man startx might be worth
    reading too.

    There are also spartan window managers like Rat Poison that is
    keyboard driven and maximises all windows by default. A
    colleague used it and was happy with it until he had to use The
    Gimp. Rat Poison is awkward to use with multi-window
    applications, especially those who keep creating and deleting
    windows.

    --
    André Majorel
    (Counterfeit: kokyt@rein.com eguriwoj@hopple.com)

  3. Re: Minimum Linux System for X Windows

    "Paul Thompson" wrote in message
    > I'm putting together an embedded system using X Windows and running with
    > an older SuSE Linux. I don't need, or want, an elaborate desktop such as
    > Gnome or KDE. What's the easiest way to start an X Windows application?

    As long as there is an X-server running, and as long as you have some kind
    of command-line shell available, execute the program in the same way you do
    any other program:
    ./programname

    Be aware that some programs MIGHT require some kind of window manager to be
    running, in order for the user to grow, shrink, or move windows around on
    the screen.
    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow