Multiple keys for modifier - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Multiple keys for modifier - Xwindows ; Hi, is there a possibility to use xmodmap to bind multiple Keys (ie Ctrl +Alt) to a modifier? `xmodmap -e 'add mod5 = Control_L + Alt_L'` won't work; i'd grealy appreciate a pointer in the right direction. TIA, Sebastian...

  1. Multiple keys for modifier

    Hi,

    is there a possibility to use xmodmap to bind multiple Keys (ie Ctrl
    +Alt) to a modifier?

    `xmodmap -e 'add mod5 = Control_L + Alt_L'` won't work; i'd grealy
    appreciate a pointer in the right direction.

    TIA,
    Sebastian

  2. Re: Multiple keys for modifier

    sebastian.sproesser@gmail.com writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > is there a possibility to use xmodmap to bind multiple Keys (ie Ctrl
    > +Alt) to a modifier?
    >
    > `xmodmap -e 'add mod5 = Control_L + Alt_L'` won't work; i'd grealy
    > appreciate a pointer in the right direction.

    It is possible to make several keys control the same modifier
    separately. It is not (easily) possible to make a combination of keys
    set a single modifier. In other words, you can make Control_L OR
    Alt_L set mod5 (simply drop the +), but you cannot make mod5 be set
    only when both Control_L AND Alt_L are pressed.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  3. Re: Multiple keys for modifier

    On 21 Mai, 20:44, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > sebastian.sproes...@gmail.com writes:
    > > Hi,

    > > is there a possibility to use xmodmap to bind multiple Keys (ie Ctrl
    > > +Alt) to a modifier?

    > > `xmodmap -e 'add mod5 = Control_L + Alt_L'` won't work; i'd grealy
    > > appreciate a pointer in the right direction.

    > It is possible to make several keys control the same modifier
    > separately. It is not (easily) possible to make a combination of keys
    > set a single modifier. In other words, you can make Control_L OR
    > Alt_L set mod5 (simply drop the +), but you cannot make mod5 be set
    > only when both Control_L AND Alt_L are pressed.

    But the way I understand that, is, that your "OR" is indeed a "XOR"
    and therefore not really a solution.

    The underlying problem is this: In Germany, the @-Symbol is located at
    the q-key if pressed together with AltGr (located where the right Alt-
    Key on US-Keyboards is, or ISO_Level3_Shift).

    The problem is, that lots of german users don't know that they have to
    hit AltGr+q to get an @, instead they try Ctrl+Alt+q (which works on
    Microsoft-Systems) and fail.

    On the console, this is not a hard problem, just editing the
    appropriate keymap and adding "control alt keycode 16 = at" is enough.

    In X however, I found so far no possibility to achieve just that. Some
    programs promise to do it (KHotKey for example) but fail somewhere, at
    least when I tried it.

    Again, if somebody could help me here, it would be greatly
    appreciated.

    TIA,
    Sebastian

  4. Re: Multiple keys for modifier

    On 21 Mai, 20:44, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > sebastian.sproes...@gmail.com writes:
    > > Hi,

    > > is there a possibility to use xmodmap to bind multiple Keys (ie Ctrl
    > > +Alt) to a modifier?

    > > `xmodmap -e 'add mod5 = Control_L + Alt_L'` won't work; i'd grealy
    > > appreciate a pointer in the right direction.

    > It is possible to make several keys control the same modifier
    > separately. It is not (easily) possible to make a combination of keys
    > set a single modifier. In other words, you can make Control_L OR
    > Alt_L set mod5 (simply drop the +), but you cannot make mod5 be set
    > only when both Control_L AND Alt_L are pressed.

    But the way I understand that, is, that your "OR" is indeed a "XOR"
    and therefore not really a solution.

    The underlying problem is this: In Germany, the @-Symbol is located at
    the q-key if pressed together with AltGr (located where the right Alt-
    Key on US-Keyboards is, or ISO_Level3_Shift).

    The problem is, that lots of german users don't know that they have to
    hit AltGr+q to get an @, instead they try Ctrl+Alt+q (which works on
    Microsoft-Systems) and fail.

    On the console, this is not a hard problem, just editing the
    appropriate keymap and adding "control alt keycode 16 = at" is enough.

    In X however, I found so far no possibility to achieve just that. Some
    programs promise to do it (KHotKey for example) but fail somewhere, at
    least when I tried it.

    Again, if somebody could help me here, it would be greatly
    appreciated.

    TIA,
    Sebastian

+ Reply to Thread