QUERY: native port fvwm2 - Xwindows

This is a discussion on QUERY: native port fvwm2 - Xwindows ; I notice fvwm can be built/compiled/installed via Cygwin for Windows XP. Am curious whether it's actually possible to natively port fvwm as a Windows XP shell? I so much prefer Motif look-and-feel than MS Windows XP but still requiring MS ...

  1. QUERY: native port fvwm2

    I notice fvwm can be built/compiled/installed via Cygwin for Windows
    XP. Am curious whether it's actually possible to natively port fvwm as
    a Windows XP shell? I so much prefer Motif look-and-feel than MS
    Windows XP but still requiring MS applications. If this is totally
    unfeasible, then what is the easiest proper way of getting fvwm2 up
    and running under default install of Cygwin? Coz I managed to build/
    install fvwm but it resides in /usr/local/bin... and Cygwin didn't
    give me a home directory, nor xinitrc files. Plus, my middle and right-
    mouse buttons don't work, so I can't do my favourate middle-mouse
    button dragging, or right-mouse context-menus....

  2. Re: QUERY: native port fvwm2

    Default fvwm build/install on default Cygwin only gives me Motif
    windows with no top-left corner icon/button, nor top-right minimise/
    maximise buttons.

  3. Re: QUERY: native port fvwm2

    "dhruba.bandopadhyay@hotmail.com" writes:

    > I notice fvwm can be built/compiled/installed via Cygwin for Windows
    > XP. Am curious whether it's actually possible to natively port fvwm as
    > a Windows XP shell?

    Nope.

    > I so much prefer Motif look-and-feel than MS
    > Windows XP but still requiring MS applications. If this is totally
    > unfeasible, then what is the easiest proper way of getting fvwm2 up
    > and running under default install of Cygwin? Coz I managed to build/
    > install fvwm but it resides in /usr/local/bin... and Cygwin didn't
    > give me a home directory, nor xinitrc files. Plus, my middle and right-
    > mouse buttons don't work, so I can't do my favourate middle-mouse
    > button dragging, or right-mouse context-menus....

    Hmm, I vaguely remember doing this.
    Executing fvwm2 from your ~/.xinitrc should be enough.

+ Reply to Thread