QUERY: how to install/setup FVWM2/Motif - Xwindows

This is a discussion on QUERY: how to install/setup FVWM2/Motif - Xwindows ; Back in 1999/2000 my university switched from using TWM to FVWM2. I didn't like TWM but I loved FVWM2, even more than Afterstep, Window Maker, Gnome & KDE. The thing I love about FVWM2 was it's Motif look- and-feel. I ...

  1. QUERY: how to install/setup FVWM2/Motif

    Back in 1999/2000 my university switched from using TWM to FVWM2. I
    didn't like TWM but I loved FVWM2, even more than Afterstep, Window
    Maker, Gnome & KDE. The thing I love about FVWM2 was it's Motif look-
    and-feel.

    I remember Red Hat 5.2 (one of the best oldskool distros) default wm
    was FVWM2. Nowadays I can't find a distro that ships with FVWM2. Does
    anyone know if there's a distro that still uses FVWM2? Currently I use
    Fedora Core 4.1. Is it possible to install FVWM2 on any distro without
    breaking it? Also I had a look at the latest FVWM2 and doesn't look
    Motif anymore. Does anyone know whether it's still possible to get
    FVWM2 back to Motif look-and-feel aswell as installing it on latest
    distros/livecds?

  2. Re: QUERY: how to install/setup FVWM2/Motif

    "dhruba.bandopadhyay@hotmail.com" writes:

    > Back in 1999/2000 my university switched from using TWM to FVWM2. I
    > didn't like TWM but I loved FVWM2, even more than Afterstep, Window
    > Maker, Gnome & KDE. The thing I love about FVWM2 was it's Motif look-
    > and-feel.
    >
    > I remember Red Hat 5.2 (one of the best oldskool distros) default wm
    > was FVWM2. Nowadays I can't find a distro that ships with FVWM2. Does
    > anyone know if there's a distro that still uses FVWM2? Currently I use
    > Fedora Core 4.1. Is it possible to install FVWM2 on any distro without
    > breaking it? Also I had a look at the latest FVWM2 and doesn't look
    > Motif anymore. Does anyone know whether it's still possible to get
    > FVWM2 back to Motif look-and-feel aswell as installing it on latest
    > distros/livecds?

    As far as I know there is no distro that defualts to using Fvwm2.
    Too many people want everything done for them.

    Every distro will allow you to install Fvwm2 however.
    If you use the graphical login, the procedure for invoking
    Fvwm2 varies. The Fvwm FAQ explains how to do this.

    I'm pretty sure, a default installation of Fvwm still looks like
    Motif. I haven't brought up the default install for a while now.
    If the distro provides a configuration file it might
    look different. Just put your own configuration file in place.

    If you go over to fvwm themes:

    http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net/

    you'll see fvwm can look like just about anything.

    Here's CDE (Motif follow on):

    http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net/s...s/full/cde.gif

    But why anyone would want Motif when you can have marbled blue
    frames:

    http://fvwm.org/screenshots/desktops...screenshot.gif

    has always been a mystery to me.

  3. Re: QUERY: how to install/setup FVWM2/Motif

    On 2007-04-27, dhruba.bandopadhyay@hotmail.com
    wrote:

    > Back in 1999/2000 my university switched from using TWM to FVWM2. I
    > didn't like TWM but I loved FVWM2, even more than Afterstep, Window
    > Maker, Gnome & KDE. The thing I love about FVWM2 was it's Motif look-
    > and-feel.
    >
    > I remember Red Hat 5.2 (one of the best oldskool distros) default wm
    > was FVWM2. Nowadays I can't find a distro that ships with FVWM2.

    Debian does.

    $ apt-cache show fvwm
    Package: fvwm
    Version: 1:2.5.18-3
    Provides: x-window-manager
    Recommends: fvwm-icons
    Suggests: m4, cpp, menu (>= 1.5), wm-icons, perl-tk, libx11-protocol-perl
    FVWM is a powerful ICCCM2 compliant multiple virtual desktop window manager
    for the X Window System. FVWM requires relatively little memory.

  4. Re: QUERY: how to install/setup FVWM2/Motif

    Andre Majorel writes:

    > On 2007-04-27, dhruba.bandopadhyay@hotmail.com
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Back in 1999/2000 my university switched from using TWM to FVWM2. I
    >> didn't like TWM but I loved FVWM2, even more than Afterstep, Window
    >> Maker, Gnome & KDE. The thing I love about FVWM2 was it's Motif look-
    >> and-feel.
    >>
    >> I remember Red Hat 5.2 (one of the best oldskool distros) default wm
    >> was FVWM2. Nowadays I can't find a distro that ships with FVWM2.

    > Debian does.
    >
    > $ apt-cache show fvwm
    > Package: fvwm
    > Version: 1:2.5.18-3
    > Provides: x-window-manager
    > Recommends: fvwm-icons
    > Suggests: m4, cpp, menu (>= 1.5), wm-icons, perl-tk, libx11-protocol-perl
    > FVWM is a powerful ICCCM2 compliant multiple virtual desktop window manager
    > for the X Window System. FVWM requires relatively little memory.
    > .
    > This 2.5 version includes new features like full support of the EWMH
    > (Extended Window Manager Hints) specification, internationalization,
    > improved window decoration code (no flickering anymore), bi-directional
    > asian text support, FreeType font support (antialiasing), image rendering,
    > Perl based module library, support for PNG images, side titles and much more.
    >
    > Manoj removed the MWM-style config from the package so there are
    > no title bar buttons by default. To get them back, you will have
    > to put stuff like this in your ~/.fvwm/ :
    >
    > Style "default-style" BorderWidth 6

    Shouldn't that be:

    Style * BorderWidth 6

  5. Re: QUERY: how to install/setup FVWM2/Motif

    On 2007-04-27, Dan Espen wrote:
    > Andre Majorel writes:

    >> Manoj removed the MWM-style config from the package so there are
    >> no title bar buttons by default. To get them back, you will have
    >> to put stuff like this in your ~/.fvwm/ :
    >>
    >> Style "default-style" BorderWidth 6

    > Shouldn't that be:
    >
    > Style * BorderWidth 6

    Dunno, that one works for me !

    What are those icons with Alsace and part of Lorraine in red on
    your desktop ? An app to track German-speaking people in France ?

    --
    André Majorel
    (Counterfeit: qebofoz@bream.com afivoqyq@dissuade.com)

  6. Re: QUERY: how to install/setup FVWM2/Motif

    Andre Majorel writes:

    > On 2007-04-27, Dan Espen wrote:
    >> Andre Majorel writes:

    >>> Manoj removed the MWM-style config from the package so there are
    >>> no title bar buttons by default. To get them back, you will have
    >>> to put stuff like this in your ~/.fvwm/ :
    >>>
    >>> Style "default-style" BorderWidth 6

    >> Shouldn't that be:
    >>
    >> Style * BorderWidth 6

    > Dunno, that one works for me !
    >
    > What are those icons with Alsace and part of Lorraine in red on
    > your desktop ? An app to track German-speaking people in France ?

    Very good.
    At the time I was doing some work on a server named alsace.
    That's just an icon for one of my rxvt sessions.

    One of my little amusements is finding icons for the various
    servers we have, dumbo, byblos (genus name for tulips), unicorn, etc.

  7. Re: QUERY: how to install/setup FVWM2/Motif

    On 2007-04-27 Fri 09:25:21, Andre Majorel wrote:
    > On 2007-04-27, dhruba.bandopadhyay@hotmail.com
    > wrote:
    >

    >> I remember Red Hat 5.2 (one of the best oldskool distros) default wm
    >> was FVWM2. Nowadays I can't find a distro that ships with FVWM2.

    > Debian does.

    As does Slackware, though it ships only the 'stable' 2.4.x and you need
    to compile 2.5.x. I believe actually many do - Arch, Crux, Gentoo, etc.

+ Reply to Thread