how to disable the CorePointer completely in xorg/X11 - Xwindows

This is a discussion on how to disable the CorePointer completely in xorg/X11 - Xwindows ; I've got an app (Qt design) that runs full screen 800x600 on a dedicated PC as an operator control console for an unmanned ground vehicle. the only input device allowed is a game controller...no keyboard...no mouse... I cannot have the ...

  1. how to disable the CorePointer completely in xorg/X11

    I've got an app (Qt design) that runs full screen 800x600 on a dedicated
    PC as an operator control console for an unmanned ground vehicle. the
    only input device allowed is a game controller...no keyboard...no mouse...

    I cannot have the stinkin mouse pointer showing up in the middle of my
    video display. Is there a preferred way to remove the annoyance
    of seeing a visible mouse pointer in the middle of my display?

    I cannot use the X11bypasswindowmanager hint when creating the root
    window because one of the functions in the app is joystick calibration,
    which spawns an overlaying xterm, runs the joystick calibration program,
    then closes that window and returns to the OCU application.

    The application will run without any window manager present, as in

    startx ./ocu --

    thoughts?

  2. Re: how to disable the CorePointer completely in xorg/X11

    noone@all.com writes:

    > I've got an app (Qt design) that runs full screen 800x600 on a dedicated
    > PC as an operator control console for an unmanned ground vehicle. the
    > only input device allowed is a game controller...no keyboard...no mouse...
    >
    > I cannot have the stinkin mouse pointer showing up in the middle of my
    > video display. Is there a preferred way to remove the annoyance
    > of seeing a visible mouse pointer in the middle of my display?

    Set a fully transparent cursor.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  3. Re: how to disable the CorePointer completely in xorg/X11

    On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 18:47:20 +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:

    > noone@all.com writes:
    >
    >> I've got an app (Qt design) that runs full screen 800x600 on a dedicated
    >> PC as an operator control console for an unmanned ground vehicle. the
    >> only input device allowed is a game controller...no keyboard...no mouse...
    >>
    >> I cannot have the stinkin mouse pointer showing up in the middle of my
    >> video display. Is there a preferred way to remove the annoyance
    >> of seeing a visible mouse pointer in the middle of my display?

    > Set a fully transparent cursor.

    Are there any predefined in the "cursor font" or must I create a custom
    one? I had hoped this would not be necessary since I really don't have a
    lot of time to figure out how to access Xlib functions from the Qt GUI
    system.

    Alternately, is there an "easy" way to force the cursor location to an
    off-screen coordinate?

    Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me why we would be "forced" to have a
    CorePointer in the first place. This cannot be the first time
    someone has suggested that a "display only" X11 screen is useful. In the
    very least the "void" driver should turn off the cursor...It doesn't.

    Thanks.

  4. Re: how to disable the CorePointer completely in xorg/X11

    On 2007-04-23, noone@all.com wrote:

    > I've got an app (Qt design) that runs full screen 800x600 on a
    > dedicated PC as an operator control console for an unmanned
    > ground vehicle. the only input device allowed is a game
    > controller...no keyboard...no mouse...
    >
    > I cannot have the stinkin mouse pointer showing up in the
    > middle of my video display. Is there a preferred way to
    > remove the annoyance of seeing a visible mouse pointer in the
    > middle of my display?

    MPlayer hides the pointer.

    --
    André Majorel