X Window Title Bar - Xwindows

This is a discussion on X Window Title Bar - Xwindows ; How can I get a title bar without the small minimize, maximize and exit icons in the upper right hand corner. I want this application to run where the public may have access, and I don't want someone shutting it ...

  1. X Window Title Bar

    How can I get a title bar without the small minimize, maximize and exit
    icons in the upper right hand corner. I want this application to run
    where the public may have access, and I don't want someone shutting it down.

    Thanks
    Paul

  2. Re: X Window Title Bar

    > How can I get a title bar without the small minimize, maximize and exit
    > icons in the upper right hand corner. I want this application to run
    > where the public may have access, and I don't want someone shutting it

    down.

    Use another window manager or configure your used one not to display these
    buttons. Twm for example only has a "minimize" button and you can configure
    the menu the way you like - then it can't close programs anymore.
    Another idea would be to use the system without any window manager and draw
    the title bar yourself (if it is your own application) or don't have a title
    bar at all. The application then has to be started with parameters
    specifying position and size of the window. If this application exits, the
    X-Server would exit and restart. Then your application could be restarted,
    too (like in ~/.xinitrc).

    If people have the possibility to use a keyboard, then you should also think
    about combinations like Ctrl+Alt+BackSpace (kill X-Server) or Ctrl+Alt+Fn
    (switch virtual terminal).

    Regards,
    Sebastian

  3. Re: X Window Title Bar

    In comp.windows.x, Sebastian

    wrote
    on Sat, 14 Apr 2007 12:27:13 +0200
    <4620abe9$0$20283$9b4e6d93@newsspool3.arcor-online.net>:
    >> How can I get a title bar without the small minimize, maximize and exit
    >> icons in the upper right hand corner. I want this application to run
    >> where the public may have access, and I don't want someone shutting it

    > down.
    >
    > Use another window manager or configure your used one not to display these
    > buttons. Twm for example only has a "minimize" button and you can configure
    > the menu the way you like - then it can't close programs anymore.
    > Another idea would be to use the system without any window manager and draw
    > the title bar yourself (if it is your own application) or don't have a title
    > bar at all. The application then has to be started with parameters
    > specifying position and size of the window. If this application exits, the
    > X-Server would exit and restart. Then your application could be restarted,
    > too (like in ~/.xinitrc).
    >
    > If people have the possibility to use a keyboard, then you should also think
    > about combinations like Ctrl+Alt+BackSpace (kill X-Server) or Ctrl+Alt+Fn
    > (switch virtual terminal).
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sebastian

    The first is handleable by an option in xorg.cfg; the second can be set
    up by simply not spawning any gettys in /etc/inittab. (If necessary, one
    can spawn a getty for the /dev/ttyS0 device, then use a null-modem cable
    with one's laptop for access.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #12398234:
    void f(char *p) {char *q = strdup(p); strcpy(p,q);}

  4. Re: X Window Title Bar

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.windows.x, Sebastian
    >
    > wrote
    > on Sat, 14 Apr 2007 12:27:13 +0200
    > <4620abe9$0$20283$9b4e6d93@newsspool3.arcor-online.net>:
    >>> How can I get a title bar without the small minimize, maximize and exit
    >>> icons in the upper right hand corner. I want this application to run
    >>> where the public may have access, and I don't want someone shutting it

    >> down.
    >>
    >> Use another window manager or configure your used one not to display these
    >> buttons. Twm for example only has a "minimize" button and you can configure
    >> the menu the way you like - then it can't close programs anymore.
    >> Another idea would be to use the system without any window manager and draw
    >> the title bar yourself (if it is your own application) or don't have a title
    >> bar at all. The application then has to be started with parameters
    >> specifying position and size of the window. If this application exits, the
    >> X-Server would exit and restart. Then your application could be restarted,
    >> too (like in ~/.xinitrc).
    >>
    >> If people have the possibility to use a keyboard, then you should also think
    >> about combinations like Ctrl+Alt+BackSpace (kill X-Server) or Ctrl+Alt+Fn
    >> (switch virtual terminal).
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Sebastian
    >>

    > The first is handleable by an option in xorg.cfg; the second can be set
    > up by simply not spawning any gettys in /etc/inittab. (If necessary, one
    > can spawn a getty for the /dev/ttyS0 device, then use a null-modem cable
    > with one's laptop for access.)

    What section and option to disable the title bar?

    Thanks

  5. Re: X Window Title Bar

    In comp.windows.x, Paul Thompson

    wrote
    on Sat, 14 Apr 2007 16:05:08 -0500
    <1322gg5qs7u3k01@corp.supernews.com>:
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.windows.x, Sebastian
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Sat, 14 Apr 2007 12:27:13 +0200
    >>> down.
    >>>
    >>> Use another window manager or configure your used one not to display these
    >>> buttons. Twm for example only has a "minimize" button and you can configure
    >>> the menu the way you like - then it can't close programs anymore.
    >>> Another idea would be to use the system without any window manager and draw
    >>> the title bar yourself (if it is your own application) or don't have a title
    >>> bar at all. The application then has to be started with parameters
    >>> specifying position and size of the window. If this application exits, the
    >>> X-Server would exit and restart. Then your application could be restarted,
    >>> too (like in ~/.xinitrc).
    >>>
    >>> If people have the possibility to use a keyboard, then you should also think
    >>> about combinations like Ctrl+Alt+BackSpace (kill X-Server) or Ctrl+Alt+Fn
    >>> (switch virtual terminal).
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Sebastian
    >>>

    >> The first is handleable by an option in xorg.cfg; the second can be set
    >> up by simply not spawning any gettys in /etc/inittab. (If necessary, one
    >> can spawn a getty for the /dev/ttyS0 device, then use a null-modem cable
    >> with one's laptop for access.)
    >>

    > What section and option to disable the title bar?
    >
    > Thanks

    Unclear. However, xprop suggests that Nautilus' background window
    has

    _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DESKTOP

    Presumably this is settable via XInternAtom and XChangeProperty.

    This is assuming you need a window manager at all. It is possible to
    run X sans window manager, in which case the application has complete
    control over whatever windows it opens. Of course if the application
    you're contemplating requires subprocesses, there are additional issues
    involved.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt.