ctwm titlebar weirdness on ubuntu 6.10 - Xwindows

This is a discussion on ctwm titlebar weirdness on ubuntu 6.10 - Xwindows ; I've been using ctwm for ten years or so, on Solaris, NetBSD, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, with pretty much the same dotfiles the whole time. I just installed Ubuntu on a laptop, and ctwm is being distinctly strange. The system: ...

  1. ctwm titlebar weirdness on ubuntu 6.10

    I've been using ctwm for ten years or so, on Solaris, NetBSD, FreeBSD,
    Mac OS X, with pretty much the same dotfiles the whole time. I just
    installed Ubuntu on a laptop, and ctwm is being distinctly strange.

    The system: I installed Ubuntu 6.10 from the alternate CD with the
    'install a command line system' option. I enabled universe in
    /etc/apt/sources.list, installed the xorg and ctwm packages, copied
    over my dotfiles, ran startx --- and got ctwm windows with gigantic
    overgrown titlebars. I've put a screen shot up at
    http://www.mit.edu/~xela/img/ctwm-giant-titlebars.png
    and one of what ctwm with my dotfiles normally looks like at
    http://www.mit.edu/~xela/img/ctwm-window.png

    Any clues as to what about ubuntu's ctwm could be causing this
    would be greatly appreciated. Clues about how to fix it even
    more so.

    Thanks in advance,

    ---Alex

  2. Re: ctwm titlebar weirdness on ubuntu 6.10

    On 2007-03-05, usenet2007@yakshavers.net wrote:

    > I've been using ctwm for ten years or so, on Solaris, NetBSD, FreeBSD,
    > Mac OS X, with pretty much the same dotfiles the whole time. I just
    > installed Ubuntu on a laptop, and ctwm is being distinctly strange.
    >
    > The system: I installed Ubuntu 6.10 from the alternate CD with the
    > 'install a command line system' option. I enabled universe in
    > /etc/apt/sources.list, installed the xorg and ctwm packages, copied
    > over my dotfiles, ran startx --- and got ctwm windows with gigantic
    > overgrown titlebars.

    Someone reported a similar problem with twm on Mandriva 2007.
    Turned out to be caused by LC_CTYPE being set to en_US.UTF-8
    instead of en_US.

    http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...40one.localnet

    --
    André Majorel
    (Counterfeit: uxiq@camelot.com fezyz@brittle.com)

  3. Re: ctwm titlebar weirdness on ubuntu 6.10

    On Mar 6, 5:51 pm, Andre Majorel wrote:
    > On 2007-03-05, usenet2...@yakshavers.net wrote:
    >
    > > I've been using ctwm for ten years or so, on Solaris, NetBSD, FreeBSD,
    > > Mac OS X, with pretty much the same dotfiles the whole time. I just
    > > installed Ubuntu on a laptop, and ctwm is being distinctly strange.

    > > The system: I installed Ubuntu 6.10 from the alternate CD with the
    > > 'install a command line system' option. I enabled universe in
    > > /etc/apt/sources.list, installed the xorg and ctwm packages, copied
    > > over my dotfiles, ran startx --- and got ctwm windows with gigantic
    > > overgrown titlebars.

    > Someone reported a similar problem with twm on Mandriva 2007.
    > Turned out to be caused by LC_CTYPE being set to en_US.UTF-8
    > instead of en_US.
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups/sear....rob%40one.loc...

    Thank you, André. I finally found time to follow up on this just
    today. It turns out that setting LC_CTYPE="en_US" didn't fix the
    problem,
    but it was the clue I needed to chase it down.

    LC_CTYPE turns out to be one of the variables GNU locale uses to
    support internationalization. These are _not_ environment
    variables in the classic sense: they are returned by locale(1)
    (and related header files and library functions) on the basis of
    the LANG environment variable. If internationalization doesn't
    matter to you, or matters less than having your old-school X
    programs work does, just set

    LANG="C"

    That's it. LC_CTYPE and the other locale variables will follow suit.
    And ctwm titlebars will be their normal size.

    ---Alex

+ Reply to Thread