change xterm Translations table temporarily / for single session only - Xwindows

This is a discussion on change xterm Translations table temporarily / for single session only - Xwindows ; Hi! I have a console program for which I would like to get some key that normally captured by xterm (such as page-up page-down, scroll wheel, etc.), but only when that program run. Other time, xterm should act on it. ...

  1. change xterm Translations table temporarily / for single session only

    Hi!

    I have a console program for which I would like to get some key that
    normally captured by xterm (such as page-up page-down, scroll wheel,
    etc.), but only when that program run. Other time, xterm should act on
    it.

    So, do you know whether it is possible to either:

    - change the xterm Translations table on-the-fly?

    - have different Translations table in effect when xterm is in
    "alternate" screen?

    - have a new xterm run sourcing a different resource file
    (not .Xdefaults)?

    Any other idea?

    Thanks!

    - http://www.arifsaha.com/

  2. Re: change xterm Translations table temporarily / for single session only

    In comp.windows.x S P Arif Sahari Wibowo wrote:

    > - change the xterm Translations table on-the-fly?

    This is possible by means of the Editres protocol.
    The application editres gives an idea but you still
    need a tool which could talk it in "batch mode".

    > - have a new xterm run sourcing a different resource file
    > (not .Xdefaults)?

    Apart from just using xterm -xrm '...':
    better just make the resources ("alternative*background:...")
    depend on the instance name (xterm -name alternative)

    (Don't forget about the socalled applications resources,
    that is pointing to resources with $XUSERFILESEARCHPATH,
    so that experimenting becomes easier.)

    [fup2 cmp.windows.x]

  3. Re: change xterm Translations table temporarily / for single session only

    "Sven Mascheck" wrote in message
    > In comp.windows.x S P Arif Sahari Wibowo wrote:
    >
    >> - change the xterm Translations table on-the-fly?

    > This is possible by means of the Editres protocol.
    > The application editres gives an idea but you still
    > need a tool which could talk it in "batch mode".
    >
    >> - have a new xterm run sourcing a different resource file
    >> (not .Xdefaults)?

    > Apart from just using xterm -xrm '...':
    > better just make the resources ("alternative*background:...")
    > depend on the instance name (xterm -name alternative)
    >
    > (Don't forget about the socalled applications resources,
    > that is pointing to resources with $XUSERFILESEARCHPATH,
    > so that experimenting becomes easier.)
    >
    > [fup2 cmp.windows.x]

    Or you can set up a script to change resource files. Something like:

    #!/bin/ksh
    export XENVIRONMENT=MyXTermResources
    xterm "$@"

    --