Controlling widgets of another application - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Controlling widgets of another application - Xwindows ; We have an application which was written using Xt with the Athena widgets. However, we have no access to the source code, only the binaries. This application is a test-tool used to perform tests on another system. What we would ...

  1. Controlling widgets of another application

    We have an application which was written using Xt with the Athena
    widgets. However, we have no access to the source code, only the
    binaries. This application is a test-tool used to perform tests on
    another system.
    What we would like to do is to automate the testing process by
    pressing buttons from another application. Without the source code
    there is no way to achieve this by direct cooperation between both
    applications.
    Is there any way to access the widgets from another application either
    through the Xt or X libs? I know how to obtain the window for the
    application I want to control, but how do I obtain a Widget structure
    for it? Is this possible at all?

    Thanks for your help
    Randymon

  2. Re: Controlling widgets of another application

    "Randymon" wrote in message
    news:1172488926.723222.186660@t69g2000cwt.googlegr oups.com...
    > We have an application which was written using Xt with the Athena
    > widgets. However, we have no access to the source code, only the
    > binaries. This application is a test-tool used to perform tests on
    > another system.
    > What we would like to do is to automate the testing process by
    > pressing buttons from another application. Without the source code
    > there is no way to achieve this by direct cooperation between both
    > applications.
    > Is there any way to access the widgets from another application either
    > through the Xt or X libs? I know how to obtain the window for the
    > application I want to control, but how do I obtain a Widget structure
    > for it? Is this possible at all?

    What you want is something like XRunner
    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow

  3. Re: Controlling widgets of another application

    On 2007-02-26, Randymon wrote:
    > We have an application which was written using Xt with the Athena
    > widgets. However, we have no access to the source code, only the
    > binaries. This application is a test-tool used to perform tests on
    > another system.
    > What we would like to do is to automate the testing process by
    > pressing buttons from another application. Without the source code
    > there is no way to achieve this by direct cooperation between both
    > applications.
    > Is there any way to access the widgets from another application either
    > through the Xt or X libs? I know how to obtain the window for the
    > application I want to control, but how do I obtain a Widget structure
    > for it? Is this possible at all?

    The xmacro package is likely what you're looking for.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  4. Re: Controlling widgets of another application

    On 26 Feb., 20:50, "Robert M. Riches Jr."
    wrote:
    > On 2007-02-26, Randymon wrote:
    >
    > > We have an application which was written using Xt with the Athena
    > > widgets. However, we have no access to the source code, only the
    > > binaries. This application is a test-tool used to perform tests on
    > > another system.
    > > What we would like to do is to automate the testing process by
    > > pressing buttons from another application. Without the source code
    > > there is no way to achieve this by direct cooperation between both
    > > applications.
    > > Is there any way to access the widgets from another application either
    > > through the Xt or X libs? I know how to obtain the window for the
    > > application I want to control, but how do I obtain a Widget structure
    > > for it? Is this possible at all?

    > The xmacro package is likely what you're looking for.
    >
    > --
    > Robert Riches
    > spamtra...@verizon.net
    > (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

    Thanks for your suggestion. The XRunner / xmacro packages allow
    pressing buttons and keys on the application, which is one of the
    things we need.
    Another problem we face is that the output report of the application
    is contained in text fields / labels within the GUI. We would like to
    read those values from the other application to allow us to perform
    automatic evaluation of these results. That's why I was trying to
    access the widget structure directly.

    Randymon

  5. Re: Controlling widgets of another application

    "Randymon" wrote in message
    news:1172569424.836254.255430@8g2000cwh.googlegrou ps.com...
    > On 26 Feb., 20:50, "Robert M. Riches Jr."
    > wrote:
    >> On 2007-02-26, Randymon wrote:
    >>
    >> > We have an application which was written using Xt with the Athena
    >> > widgets. However, we have no access to the source code, only the
    >> > binaries. This application is a test-tool used to perform tests on
    >> > another system.
    >> > What we would like to do is to automate the testing process by
    >> > pressing buttons from another application. Without the source code
    >> > there is no way to achieve this by direct cooperation between both
    >> > applications.
    >> > Is there any way to access the widgets from another application either
    >> > through the Xt or X libs? I know how to obtain the window for the
    >> > application I want to control, but how do I obtain a Widget structure
    >> > for it? Is this possible at all?

    >> The xmacro package is likely what you're looking for.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Robert Riches
    >> spamtra...@verizon.net
    >> (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

    > Thanks for your suggestion. The XRunner / xmacro packages allow
    > pressing buttons and keys on the application, which is one of the
    > things we need.
    > Another problem we face is that the output report of the application
    > is contained in text fields / labels within the GUI. We would like to
    > read those values from the other application to allow us to perform
    > automatic evaluation of these results. That's why I was trying to
    > access the widget structure directly.

    Accessing the contents of the widgets directly is, in general, not possible.

    However, if the app you are trying to inspect includes the proper event
    handler (like that used by editres), you can get part way there. But
    it is quite complicated to do...

    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow
    Aero Stability and Controls Computing

  6. Re: Controlling widgets of another application

    On 27 Feb., 16:31, "Fred Kleinschmidt"
    wrote:
    > "Randymon" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1172569424.836254.255430@8g2000cwh.googlegrou ps.com...
    >
    > > On 26 Feb., 20:50, "Robert M. Riches Jr."
    > > wrote:

    > >> The xmacro package is likely what you're looking for.

    > >> --
    > >> Robert Riches
    > >> spamtra...@verizon.net
    > >> (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

    > > Thanks for your suggestion. The XRunner / xmacro packages allow
    > > pressing buttons and keys on the application, which is one of the
    > > things we need.
    > > Another problem we face is that the output report of the application
    > > is contained in text fields / labels within the GUI. We would like to
    > > read those values from the other application to allow us to perform
    > > automatic evaluation of these results. That's why I was trying to
    > > access the widget structure directly.

    > Accessing the contents of the widgets directly is, in general, not possible.
    >
    > However, if the app you are trying to inspect includes the proper event
    > handler (like that used by editres), you can get part way there. But
    > it is quite complicated to do...
    >
    > --
    > Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    > Boeing Associate Technical Fellow
    > Aero Stability and Controls Computing

    Yes, unfortunately this application does not support editres :-(
    Seems like we'll have to find some other way to solve our problem.
    Thanks anyway

    Randymon

  7. Re: Controlling widgets of another application

    On 2007-02-28, Randymon wrote:
    > On 27 Feb., 16:31, "Fred Kleinschmidt"
    > wrote:
    >> "Randymon" wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:1172569424.836254.255430@8g2000cwh.googlegrou ps.com...

    >> > Thanks for your suggestion. The XRunner / xmacro packages allow
    >> > pressing buttons and keys on the application, which is one of the
    >> > things we need.
    >> > Another problem we face is that the output report of the application
    >> > is contained in text fields / labels within the GUI. We would like to
    >> > read those values from the other application to allow us to perform
    >> > automatic evaluation of these results. That's why I was trying to
    >> > access the widget structure directly.

    >> Accessing the contents of the widgets directly is, in general, not possible.
    >>
    >> However, if the app you are trying to inspect includes the proper event
    >> handler (like that used by editres), you can get part way there. But
    >> it is quite complicated to do...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    >> Boeing Associate Technical Fellow
    >> Aero Stability and Controls Computing

    > Yes, unfortunately this application does not support editres :-(
    > Seems like we'll have to find some other way to solve our problem.
    > Thanks anyway

    I posted one potential solution yesterday, but it looks like
    my ISP's news server ate it.

    If you can select the text fields with the mouse (or
    something like Ctrl-A in some apps), you can copy the text
    from the X select buffer to wherever you need it. I have a
    short C program that copies from the select buffer to a
    file. Email me if you'd like a copy.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net