Using Putty and Exceed - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Using Putty and Exceed - Xwindows ; Hey guys. I'm having some trouble accessing the Linux servers at my University from my home PC which runs Windows XP. Basically we have been told to use both Putty and Exceed (a link for Putty and a Cd containing ...

  1. Using Putty and Exceed

    Hey guys. I'm having some trouble accessing the Linux servers at my
    University from my home PC which runs Windows XP.

    Basically we have been told to use both Putty and Exceed (a link for
    Putty and a Cd containing Exceed was given to me by my Univeristies IT
    Helpdesk) on our home computers to access the Linux servers which we
    use in our Computing Lab. Since these labs only run for a few hours a
    week, I would like to put some more time in myself at home.

    I had no problems with the installation of either program. What is
    more, Putty has no problems with logging onto the server once I enable
    X11 Forwarding. The problem is that when I run Exceed, nothing
    happens! All I get is a small toolbar at the top of the screen. There
    is no other activity, and certainty no Linux window popping up as
    expected.

    Every now and again, I get an error message in the Putty log file
    which states:

    "software caused connection abort"

    This doesn't appear all the time, just usually when I've run the
    programs for the first time since my last reboot.

    Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?

    If anyone wants any further information then don't hesistate to ask.

    Kind Regards,

    Matt

  2. Re: Using Putty and Exceed

    Matt wrote:
    > Hey guys. I'm having some trouble accessing the Linux servers at my
    > University from my home PC which runs Windows XP.

    You could always run a LiveCD, no need to install anything on your computer,
    but you get both X11 and ssh.

    > I had no problems with the installation of either program. What is
    > more, Putty has no problems with logging onto the server once I enable
    > X11 Forwarding. The problem is that when I run Exceed, nothing
    > happens! All I get is a small toolbar at the top of the screen. There
    > is no other activity, and certainty no Linux window popping up as
    > expected.

    As I'm not a microsoft user and never used Exceed, not sure how it's supposed
    to look, but you need to run the application on the Linux server and then the
    X-Forward will see to that Exceed will display the application on your computer

    When you logged in with putty, it will most likely look something like this:

    Password:
    Last login: Wed Feb 21 18:10:29 2007 from 192.168.0.1
    username $

    Say you want to run mathlab, then

    username $ mathlab &

    Using an '&' after the command, you tell that you want to run the program in
    the background, which gives you the prompt back, otherwise you need to make a
    connection per application you want to run on the remote machine.

    If you don't have Exceed installed (or any other X11 environment), then you
    can't run applications on the remote machine, as it's not possible to display
    it on your machine.

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: Using Putty and Exceed

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.linux.]
    On 22 Feb 2007 13:46:47 -0800,
    Matt wrote:
    > Hey guys. I'm having some trouble accessing the Linux servers at my
    > University from my home PC which runs Windows XP.
    >
    > Basically we have been told to use both Putty and Exceed (a link for
    > Putty and a Cd containing Exceed was given to me by my Univeristies IT
    > Helpdesk) on our home computers to access the Linux servers which we
    > use in our Computing Lab. Since these labs only run for a few hours a
    > week, I would like to put some more time in myself at home.
    >
    > I had no problems with the installation of either program. What is
    > more, Putty has no problems with logging onto the server once I enable
    > X11 Forwarding. The problem is that when I run Exceed, nothing
    > happens! All I get is a small toolbar at the top of the screen. There
    > is no other activity, and certainty no Linux window popping up as
    > expected.
    >
    > Every now and again, I get an error message in the Putty log file
    > which states:
    >
    > "software caused connection abort"
    >
    > This doesn't appear all the time, just usually when I've run the
    > programs for the first time since my last reboot.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?

    If you type a program name in Putty, it will run on the XServer. Try
    typing in "xterm &" or "xeyes &" or "icewm &". Okay, icewm may not be
    installed, be "twm" should be. If they recommended Exceed, I'd assume
    that means you have permission to run the programs. If "xterm"
    doesn't work, report back the error you get in Putty.

    Michael C.
    --
    mcsuper5@freeshell.org http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    The barrier between... success is not something which exists in the real
    world: it is composed purely and simply of... doubts about...ability.
    - Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  4. Re: Using Putty and Exceed

    On Feb 22, 2:46 pm, "Matt" wrote:
    > Hey guys. I'm having some trouble accessing the Linux servers at my
    > University from my home PC which runs Windows XP.
    >
    > Basically we have been told to use both Putty and Exceed (a link for
    > Putty and a Cd containing Exceed was given to me by my Univeristies IT
    > Helpdesk) on our home computers to access the Linux servers which we
    > use in our Computing Lab. Since these labs only run for a few hours a
    > week, I would like to put some more time in myself at home.
    >
    > I had no problems with the installation of either program. What is
    > more, Putty has no problems with logging onto the server once I enable
    > X11 Forwarding. The problem is that when I run Exceed, nothing
    > happens! All I get is a small toolbar at the top of the screen. There
    > is no other activity, and certainty no Linux window popping up as
    > expected.
    >
    > Every now and again, I get an error message in the Putty log file
    > which states:
    >
    > "software caused connection abort"
    >
    > This doesn't appear all the time, just usually when I've run the
    > programs for the first time since my last reboot.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?
    >
    > If anyone wants any further information then don't hesistate to ask.
    >
    > Kind Regards,
    >
    > Matt

    Disclaimer: (I am not a LInux Expert - I struggle with it
    weekly...)

    I am not sure how this works when running over Putty, but if you were
    just doing access via telnet here are a few more things that need to
    be setup.
    1) your xserver (on your PC -- here I assume Exceed) must be started
    and ready to process requests. Check with your IT folks to see how
    that is done.
    2) Your xserver (Exceed) must have permissions set to allow other
    hosts to access him. Depending on your level of paranoia you can just
    allow access to all hosts. using a Linux distro (not Exceed) you would
    say xhosts + I think.
    3) Your DISPLAY variable on the lab linux box must be set to point to
    your PC.
    If you had just telneted in, and gotten the bash prompt, you could
    just say, export DISPLAY=my.ip.add.ress
    Now when you run xterm & or xeyes & etc. the code will run on the
    Linux lab machine, and send its output to the destination specified by
    DISPLAY.

    Again not sure how the issue of Putty affects this. I expect not much.

    The above aside I second the motion of using a Linux live distro on
    your home PC. You can use ssh, instead of putty, and you will be using
    proper X instead of eXceed. If you need to save files etc to your
    local disk, (or a USB stick) that can be done even from a LiveCD.

    Good luck.
    G.

  5. Re: Using Putty and Exceed

    pgmer6809@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Feb 22, 2:46 pm, "Matt" wrote:
    >> Hey guys. I'm having some trouble accessing the Linux servers at my
    >> University from my home PC which runs Windows XP.
    >>
    >> Basically we have been told to use both Putty and Exceed (a link for
    >> Putty and a Cd containing Exceed was given to me by my Univeristies IT
    >> Helpdesk) on our home computers to access the Linux servers which we
    >> use in our Computing Lab. Since these labs only run for a few hours a
    >> week, I would like to put some more time in myself at home.
    >>
    >> I had no problems with the installation of either program. What is
    >> more, Putty has no problems with logging onto the server once I enable
    >> X11 Forwarding. The problem is that when I run Exceed, nothing
    >> happens! All I get is a small toolbar at the top of the screen. There
    >> is no other activity, and certainty no Linux window popping up as
    >> expected.
    >>
    >> Every now and again, I get an error message in the Putty log file
    >> which states:
    >>
    >> "software caused connection abort"
    >>
    >> This doesn't appear all the time, just usually when I've run the
    >> programs for the first time since my last reboot.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?
    >>
    >> If anyone wants any further information then don't hesistate to ask.
    >>
    >> Kind Regards,
    >>
    >> Matt

    > Disclaimer: (I am not a LInux Expert - I struggle with it
    > weekly...)
    >
    > I am not sure how this works when running over Putty, but if you were
    > just doing access via telnet here are a few more things that need to
    > be setup.
    > 1) your xserver (on your PC -- here I assume Exceed) must be started
    > and ready to process requests. Check with your IT folks to see how
    > that is done.
    > 2) Your xserver (Exceed) must have permissions set to allow other
    > hosts to access him. Depending on your level of paranoia you can just
    > allow access to all hosts. using a Linux distro (not Exceed) you would
    > say xhosts + I think.
    > 3) Your DISPLAY variable on the lab linux box must be set to point to
    > your PC.
    > If you had just telneted in, and gotten the bash prompt, you could
    > just say, export DISPLAY=my.ip.add.ress
    > Now when you run xterm & or xeyes & etc. the code will run on the
    > Linux lab machine, and send its output to the destination specified by
    > DISPLAY.
    >
    > Again not sure how the issue of Putty affects this. I expect not much.
    >
    > The above aside I second the motion of using a Linux live distro on
    > your home PC. You can use ssh, instead of putty, and you will be using
    > proper X instead of eXceed. If you need to save files etc to your
    > local disk, (or a USB stick) that can be done even from a LiveCD.
    >
    > Good luck.
    > G.

    Make sure your putty is setup for X11 forwarding also. (Connections,
    ssh, tunnels)

    With Exceed running, ssh to the host using putty. type "xterm". (without
    the quotes.) An xterm should popup in exceed.

+ Reply to Thread