"NUPUL" wrote in message
news:1172047462.325672.136840@v45g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
> Could you give examples of applications where one would need to
> interact with X directly? i.e. code using the Xlib API?
>
> I am aware of the following though:
>
> Window Managers (WM)
> Widget Toolkits like Qt/Gtk
>
> What is the scope of X today and what are the various ways in which it
> can be used? (other than the above). I feel that the WMs/Widget
> toolkits today are quite versatile and complex - one would rarely need
> to interact with X directly if they are used.

Even when using a higher level tookit (Qt, Gtk, Motif, etc) is it
almost inevitable that you will use a lot of direct X and./or Xt calls.
Examples (with Motif):
XtOpenApplication
XtAppMainLoop
XtAddCallback
XtCreateWidget
XtManageChild
XtDestroyWidget
XtAppAddWorkProc
XtAppAddTimeOut
XtMalloc, XtCalloc, XtRealloc, XtFree
XCopyArea
when working in DrawingAreas, lots of use of things like
XDrawLine
XDrawRectangle
XFillRectangle
Lots of stuff using XEvent
and, if you are creating your own widget, even more.
--
Fred L. Kleinschmidt
Boeing Associate Technical Fellow