Re: When to use X? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Re: When to use X? - Xwindows ; "NUPUL" writes: > Could you give examples of applications where one would need to > interact with X directly? i.e. code using the Xlib API? > > I am aware of the following though: > > Window Managers (WM) > ...

  1. Re: When to use X?

    "NUPUL" writes:

    > Could you give examples of applications where one would need to
    > interact with X directly? i.e. code using the Xlib API?
    >
    > I am aware of the following though:
    >
    > Window Managers (WM)
    > Widget Toolkits like Qt/Gtk
    >
    > What is the scope of X today and what are the various ways in which it
    > can be used? (other than the above). I feel that the WMs/Widget
    > toolkits today are quite versatile and complex - one would rarely need
    > to interact with X directly if they are used.

    One reason I often use Xlib directly is to avoid using the overly
    complex toolkits.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  2. Re: When to use X?

    On Feb 21, 1:23 am, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > "NUPUL" writes:
    >
    > One reason I often use Xlib directly is to avoid using the overly
    > complex toolkits.

    overly complex and BUGGY toolkits. xt/Motif combo is probably the
    worst
    of them all.

    fvwm 1.24 as simple WM as it is occasionally (once in a few month)
    would throw a fit or two.

  3. Re: When to use X?

    On Feb 21, 1:37 am, "NUPUL" wrote:
    > On Feb 21, 2:23 pm, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >
    > > One reason I often use Xlib directly is to avoid using the overly
    > > complex toolkits.

    > But the existing toolkits have a better look and feel...Isn't that
    > quite complex to achieve in X? Then what is the saving?

    You don't. There are no good toolkits on top of X with a possible
    exception of Qt. But xlib is FAR more robust than anything
    built on top of it. And compating Xlib to a toolkit is like
    comparing a wheel to a car. One enables the other, but they
    are apples and oranges.
    xlib does not provide any look and feel. It's up to the ineptitude
    of the toolkit developer to provide one. And we saw the results:
    they are quite pathetic look&feel and reliability wise.

+ Reply to Thread