XmScale widget problems in 64bit Linux! - Xwindows

This is a discussion on XmScale widget problems in 64bit Linux! - Xwindows ; I'm porting a 32bit X app to 64bit land and my sliders created with XmScale widgets look fine in the 32bit land but in 64 they will NOT display both the current value and the title string! Any ideas? FC5 ...

  1. XmScale widget problems in 64bit Linux!

    I'm porting a 32bit X app to 64bit land and my sliders created with
    XmScale widgets look fine in the 32bit land but in 64 they will NOT
    display both the current value and the title string!

    Any ideas?

    FC5 recent install on AMD64

  2. Re: XmScale widget problems in 64bit Linux!

    David J Bakeman wrote:
    > I'm porting a 32bit X app to 64bit land and my sliders created with
    > XmScale widgets look fine in the 32bit land but in 64 they will NOT
    > display both the current value and the title string!

    Without knowing the exact nature of your problem or your setup it is
    hard to tell from such a vague description. Most likely, this has
    nothing to do with 32bit vs. 64bit, unless you can verify that the
    two systems otherwise are identical (e.g. compiler, X11/Motif
    versions, etc.).

    Most likely this is down to either your code using the library
    incorrectly, which only shows in the version of the library you are
    using on your 64bit platform, or a bug in the 64bit specific version
    or implementation, in which case you should contact your vendor.
    Have your updated your libs?

    -Frode

    --
    ^ Frode TennebÝ | email: Frode.Tennebo@ericsson.com ^
    | Ericsson AS., N-1788 Halden | Phone: +47 67 25 09 39 |

  3. Re: XmScale widget problems in 64bit Linux!

    Here's a code fragment:
    static Arg con_args[] = { { 0 , 0 } ,
    { XmNorientation , XmHORIZONTAL } ,
    { XmNminimum , 1 } ,
    { XmNmaximum , 160 } ,
    { XmNvalue , 40 } ,
    { XmNshowValue , TRUE },
    };
    XtSetArg(con_args[0], XmNtitleString,
    XmStringCreateLtoR("Contour",XmSTRING_DEFAULT_CHARSET));
    con = XtCreateManagedWidget("Contour", xmScaleWidgetClass,
    box2, con_args, XtNumber(con_args));
    The widget box2 is a xmRowColumnWidgetClass used to hold several
    sliders. On the 32bit FC4 system using X.org both the current value and
    the title are displayed. On the 64bit FC5 X.org system either the title
    or the value is displayed depending on whether XMNshowValue is true or not.

    The FC4 Xorg.0.log reports X Window System Version 6.8.2.
    The FC5 Xorg.0.log reports X Window System Version 7.0.0.
    Frode Tenneboe wrote:
    > David J Bakeman wrote:
    >
    >>I'm porting a 32bit X app to 64bit land and my sliders created with
    >>XmScale widgets look fine in the 32bit land but in 64 they will NOT
    >>display both the current value and the title string!

    > Without knowing the exact nature of your problem or your setup it is
    > hard to tell from such a vague description. Most likely, this has
    > nothing to do with 32bit vs. 64bit, unless you can verify that the
    > two systems otherwise are identical (e.g. compiler, X11/Motif
    > versions, etc.).
    >
    > Most likely this is down to either your code using the library
    > incorrectly, which only shows in the version of the library you are
    > using on your 64bit platform, or a bug in the 64bit specific version
    > or implementation, in which case you should contact your vendor.
    > Have your updated your libs?
    >
    > -Frode

  4. Re: XmScale widget problems in 64bit Linux!

    "David J. Bakeman" wrote in message
    > Here's a code fragment:
    > static Arg con_args[] = { { 0 , 0 } ,
    > { XmNorientation , XmHORIZONTAL } ,
    > { XmNminimum , 1 } ,
    > { XmNmaximum , 160 } ,
    > { XmNvalue , 40 } ,
    > { XmNshowValue , TRUE },
    > };
    > XtSetArg(con_args[0], XmNtitleString,
    > XmStringCreateLtoR("Contour",XmSTRING_DEFAULT_CHARSET));

    Bad practice. You probably created a memory leak unless you
    remembered to call XmStringFree(con_args[0].value) after
    you create the widget.

    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow