Line-spacing and leading in X - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Line-spacing and leading in X - Xwindows ; Running FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE with Xorg 6.9.0. I have noticed that line-spacing in Firefox and Thunderbird is somewhat denser on Windows than on FreeBSD. Lines are one or two pixels taller on FreeBSD, which probably means that leading is included. Leading ...

  1. Line-spacing and leading in X

    Running FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE with Xorg 6.9.0.

    I have noticed that line-spacing in Firefox and Thunderbird is somewhat
    denser on Windows than on FreeBSD. Lines are one or two pixels taller on
    FreeBSD, which probably means that leading is included.

    Leading as part of line-spacing can be turned on and off in X by
    setting minspace to false or true, respectively. This can be done in
    ~/.fonts.conf or by including minspace in commands like this one:

    xterm -fa monospace-11:minspace=true

    My problem is, this does not work. I suspected that GTK might have
    something to do with it, but the test above fails to work even when GTK
    is not installed.

    I suppose I have failed to grasp some salient aspect of X, and I hope
    someone here can tell me what it is.

    And, even though it is somewhat off-topic on this group, is there a way
    to regulate line-spacing with GTK themes? Thanks for any hints.
    --
    Tore

  2. Re: Line-spacing and leading in X

    Hello,

    > I have noticed that line-spacing in Firefox and Thunderbird is somewhat
    > denser on Windows than on FreeBSD. Lines are one or two pixels taller on
    > FreeBSD, which probably means that leading is included.

    I am not much in the topic, but I could think it is the font which is
    smaller/denser. Did you try out the windows fonts? Maybe the "problem" will
    disappear then.

    Regards,
    Sebastian

  3. Re: Line-spacing and leading in X

    Sebastian wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    >> I have noticed that line-spacing in Firefox and Thunderbird is somewhat
    >> denser on Windows than on FreeBSD. Lines are one or two pixels taller on
    >> FreeBSD, which probably means that leading is included.

    > I am not much in the topic, but I could think it is the font which is
    > smaller/denser. Did you try out the windows fonts? Maybe the "problem" will
    > disappear then.

    Thanks, but I am using Windows fonts. Precisely the same fonts are set
    with different line-spacing on X and Windows - that's why I wonder.

    Windows apart, the minspace parameter should affect line-spacing for
    some fonts. I am unable to find a test case where setting minspace to
    true or false makes a difference, so something is wrong somewhere.
    --
    Tore

+ Reply to Thread