XLib problem - Xwindows

This is a discussion on XLib problem - Xwindows ; Hi I am very confusing about x11r7 and xfree86. I am doing XLib programming, does x11r7 contains a Xlib and xfree86 contains a xlib? If my system missed the xlib, i should download xfree86 or x11r7? Xfree86 and X11R7 is ...

  1. XLib problem

    Hi
    I am very confusing about x11r7 and xfree86. I am doing XLib
    programming, does x11r7 contains a Xlib and xfree86 contains a xlib?
    If my system missed the xlib, i should download xfree86 or x11r7?

    Xfree86 and X11R7 is the implementation of x protocol, so if i want
    to fun fvwm, i just need one of them, am i correct?

    thanks
    from Peter (cmk128@hotmail.com)

  2. Re: XLib problem

    On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:13:22 -0800, cmk128 wrote:

    > Hi
    > I am very confusing about x11r7 and xfree86. I am doing XLib
    > programming, does x11r7 contains a Xlib and xfree86 contains a xlib?
    > If my system missed the xlib, i should download xfree86 or x11r7?
    >
    > Xfree86 and X11R7 is the implementation of x protocol, so if i want
    > to fun fvwm, i just need one of them, am i correct?
    >
    > thanks
    > from Peter (cmk128@hotmail.com)

    It looks like you're confusing specification with implementation.

    X11R7 is the specification of a set of protocols, APIs, etc. XFree86 is one
    implementation of that specification. Another is Xorg, which in recent
    years seems to have surpassed XFree86 in popularity.

    If you want to run, say, fvwm, then yes, you need to install either XFree86
    or Xorg. Easily installable packages exist for both on a wide variety of
    platforms. You didn't mention what OS you're using, but chances are that
    you may already have a full X installation in place and ready for use (after
    some configuration); many OSes nowadays include X as part of the initial
    base system install. If not, visit http://www.x.org/ and download the
    appropriate packages for your platform (or maybe get them from your OS's web
    site).

    Good luck, and have fun!

    --
    Conrad J. Sabatier