Network interruption causes X app to exit - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Network interruption causes X app to exit - Xwindows ; Hi. I've been Googling for a bit, but I don't seem to be able to hit the right combination of search terms for this... I have got an application running on a Red Hat box that runs statistical analysis over ...

  1. Network interruption causes X app to exit

    Hi.

    I've been Googling for a bit, but I don't seem to be able to hit the
    right combination of search terms for this...

    I have got an application running on a Red Hat box that runs
    statistical analysis over a period of 24 hours or so. If the network
    connection between my client machine (running Hummingbird Exceed 12 on
    Windows as its X server) drops for only a short period of time, about
    30s, the application quits and I find the SSH connection over which I'm
    tunnelling the app is closed a few minutes later.

    Unfortunately, X is one of those bits of Linux that has always "just
    worked" for me before, so I've never had to delve too deep. Is there a
    way to avoid the application quitting in the case of a network
    interruption (which I can't do much about) or to run an X session
    without keeping the window on my PC given that I only have SSH access?
    Something like the disconnected session of Windows remote desktop would
    be ideal.

    Thanks,

    Iain.

  2. Re: Network interruption causes X app to exit

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.x.]
    On 22 Jan 2007 06:54:16 -0800, Iain staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:
    > I have an application running on a Red Hat box that runs statistical
    > analysis over a period of 24 hours or so. If the network connection
    > between my client machine (running Hummingbird Exceed 12 on Windows as
    > its X server) drops for only a short period of time, about 30s, the
    > application quits

    30s is "short"? Holy crap. Is this a LAN? If so, the hardware needs
    to be fixed. If there's non-LAN stuff between you and the X client,
    you're probably going to have to use a different method.

    > Is there a way to avoid the application quitting in the case of a
    > network interruption (which I can't do much about) or to run an X
    > session without keeping the window on my PC given that I only have SSH
    > access?

    xmove won't work, it needs port 6000 open and some other junk besides.
    Your best option is probably to use VNC, either through x11vnc or KDE
    Desktop Sharing or something like that. You'll have to tunnel it over
    ssh, which will add hassle.

    --
    "Dreams? Best leave dreams to those that can afford them."
    --Aunt Cordelia, _Wizard and Glass_, Stephen King