Difference between xterm and a terminal. - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Difference between xterm and a terminal. - Xwindows ; Hi, When I have Gnome running I can open a terminal window or do 'xterm &' from an existing terminal window. Beside the colors, what is the difference between them? Thank you, Joe Hesse...

  1. Difference between xterm and a terminal.

    Hi,
    When I have Gnome running I can open a terminal window or do 'xterm &' from
    an existing terminal window. Beside the colors, what is the difference
    between them?
    Thank you,
    Joe Hesse

  2. Re: Difference between xterm and a terminal.

    "Joe Hesse" writes:

    > Hi,
    > When I have Gnome running I can open a terminal window or do 'xterm &' from
    > an existing terminal window. Beside the colors, what is the difference
    > between them?

    A terminal is a physical device, connected to the computer thru a
    serial line or a modem. It has a screen and a keyboard, or a printer
    and a keyboard for the older sort.

    xterm is a program that emulates the workings of a terminal. But it
    connects to the computer thru pseudo ttys instead of serial devices.
    To simulate a true terminal, you need to have a serial port or a modem
    on your computer, and use some additionnal software, like kermit or
    minicom to connect the xterm with the remote computer.

    GNOME Terminal is another program just like xterm.
    There are a lot of different terminal emulators.

    They are different in the exact terminal they emulate, and the degree
    to which they emulate them, and of course, in the user interface, the
    way the physical keyboard and switches, are emulated by the user
    interface, and the way in which they can be configured, etc.

    If it imports much for you, you'll have to read in detail the user
    manuals of these software, and even their sources, or just learn to
    use them intensively.

    Nobody can fix the economy. Nobody can be trusted with their finger
    on the button. Nobody's perfect. VOTE FOR NOBODY.

+ Reply to Thread