Howto make ctrl+<arbitrary key> different ? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Howto make ctrl+<arbitrary key> different ? - Xwindows ; Hello, i know that i can assign keycodes to physical keys in conjunction with shift and meta keys, but how does this work with the ctrl-key ? Background : I am using a german keyboard and i would like to ...

  1. Howto make ctrl+<arbitrary key> different ?

    Hello,
    i know that i can assign keycodes to physical keys in conjunction with
    shift and meta keys, but how does this work with the ctrl-key ?
    Background :
    I am using a german keyboard and i would like to make the 'umlaut' keys
    behave in certain programms like some other keys , including the
    ctrl-behaviour. But i noticed, that ctrl+'umlaut' does not produce a
    different event.

    thnx
    andy

  2. Re: Howto make ctrl+<arbitrary key> different ?

    wrote:

    > i know that i can assign keycodes to physical keys in conjunction with
    > shift and meta keys, but how does this work with the ctrl-key ?

    Sidenote: you don't assign keycodes but keysyms.
    Instead, keycodes represent the physical keys themselves.

    I believe it's not possible to use control this way.
    Only shift(/lock), mode_switch (and numlock) are special.

    > But i noticed, that ctrl+'umlaut' does not produce a different event.

    It is a different event, but only the modifier "state" is changed,
    not the "keysym"; see xev(1).

    However, you can remap your control combinations in some applications.
    The best example is the translation table functionality from libXt
    used in xterm(1):

    $ xterm -xrm \
    'XTerm.VT100.translations: #override Ctrladiaeresis: string("special")'

    here pressing ctrl-aumlaut prints the string "special".
    You can remap almost anything, but you're certainly
    limited to the applications providing such mechanisms.