newer twm makes titlebar twice as tall - Xwindows

This is a discussion on newer twm makes titlebar twice as tall - Xwindows ; The TWM shipped with Mandriva Linux 2007 makes titlebars twice as tall as they should be if certain titlebar fonts are used. I'm searching for a minimum-pain solution. Google searches and posting to alt.os.linux.mandriva did not produce anything useful, other ...

  1. newer twm makes titlebar twice as tall

    The TWM shipped with Mandriva Linux 2007 makes titlebars
    twice as tall as they should be if certain titlebar fonts
    are used. I'm searching for a minimum-pain solution.
    Google searches and posting to alt.os.linux.mandriva did not
    produce anything useful, other than a suggestion to post
    here.

    I use fixed-width font 9x15 for all my xterms and titlebars.
    Previous versions of twm, for example the one in Mandriva
    2006 in package xorg-x11-6.9.0-5.10.20060mdk, make the
    titlebar 20 pixels tall, the same as with openmotif's mwm
    and the same font. A "fixed" font 15 pixels high is a
    fairly decent fit in a titlebar 20 pixels tall.

    The version of twm in Mandriva 2007, from package
    twm-1.0.1-5mdv2007.0.i586.rpm, makes the titlebar 40 pixels
    if I specify 9x15 as titlebar font. With a different
    account that uses the default .twmrc, the titlebar is the
    normal 20 pixels tall.

    I suspect the cause of the excessive height might be
    headroom allowance for the dots, circles, hats, squiggles,
    and such that some European languages stick on top of
    letters (having seen problems with that in Firefox 1.5.*
    compiled with gtk2). The only difference seen in locale
    stuff between the two accounts with different twm behavior
    is the one with 9x15 titlebar fonts also sets LC_COLLATE to
    'C', while the other leaves it at the default (presumably
    en_US or similar).

    Any suggestions for getting titlebar height back to the
    normal 20 pixels, preferably without having to change
    titlebar font? (Maybe there ought to be a TitleHeight
    variable that could be assigned in a .twmrc file.)

    Thanks.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  2. Re: newer twm makes titlebar twice as tall

    On 2006-12-14, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > The TWM shipped with Mandriva Linux 2007 makes titlebars
    > twice as tall as they should be if certain titlebar fonts
    > are used. [...]
    >
    > I use fixed-width font 9x15 for all my xterms and titlebars.
    > Previous versions of twm, for example the one in Mandriva
    > 2006 in package xorg-x11-6.9.0-5.10.20060mdk, make the
    > titlebar 20 pixels tall [...]
    >
    > The version of twm in Mandriva 2007, from package
    > twm-1.0.1-5mdv2007.0.i586.rpm, makes the titlebar 40 pixels
    > if I specify 9x15 as titlebar font. With a different
    > account that uses the default .twmrc, the titlebar is the
    > normal 20 pixels tall.

    Perhaps the X servers have different font paths or resolutions
    and in a bizarre twist, TWM on your machine sizes the title bar
    for the 100 DPI version of the 9x15 but loads the 75 DPI
    version.

    Perhaps you're in fact using a -iso10646-1 variant which somehow
    has different metrics than the -iso8859-1 one.

    I would try using a fully qualified font name, E.G.
    "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--15-140-75-75-c-90-iso8859-1"
    instead of "9x15".

    --
    André Majorel
    (Counterfeit: vob@indolent.com gukebuniq@melon.org)

  3. Re: newer twm makes titlebar twice as tall

    On 2006-12-15, Andre Majorel wrote:
    > On 2006-12-14, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >
    >> The TWM shipped with Mandriva Linux 2007 makes titlebars
    >> twice as tall as they should be if certain titlebar fonts
    >> are used. [...]
    >>
    >> I use fixed-width font 9x15 for all my xterms and titlebars.
    >> Previous versions of twm, for example the one in Mandriva
    >> 2006 in package xorg-x11-6.9.0-5.10.20060mdk, make the
    >> titlebar 20 pixels tall [...]
    >>
    >> The version of twm in Mandriva 2007, from package
    >> twm-1.0.1-5mdv2007.0.i586.rpm, makes the titlebar 40 pixels
    >> if I specify 9x15 as titlebar font. With a different
    >> account that uses the default .twmrc, the titlebar is the
    >> normal 20 pixels tall.

    > Perhaps the X servers have different font paths or resolutions
    > and in a bizarre twist, TWM on your machine sizes the title bar
    > for the 100 DPI version of the 9x15 but loads the 75 DPI
    > version.
    >
    > Perhaps you're in fact using a -iso10646-1 variant which somehow
    > has different metrics than the -iso8859-1 one.
    >
    > I would try using a fully qualified font name, E.G.
    > "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--15-140-75-75-c-90-iso8859-1"
    > instead of "9x15".

    Thank you for the suggestions. Font "9x15" is unscaled, so
    it is independent of dpi, IIUC. It turns out the fonts from
    the two releases are identical for at least most of the
    alphabet, based on diff of .pmn files of cropped screenshots
    of xterms showing the same /etc/motd file. Both releases
    have ISO8859 variants, but they also have a plain version,
    and neither has any other ISO variant.

    Some more experimenting (based on a suggestion from the
    person who suggested I try asking here) led to a discovery
    that the problem was LC_CTYPE is set to en_US.UTF-8 in 2007,
    while it was en_US in 2006. Getting rid of the ".UTF-8"
    suffix made twm's titlebars go back to normal.

    Thanks again for the suggestions.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  4. Re: newer twm makes titlebar twice as tall

    On 2006-12-16, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > On 2006-12-15, Andre Majorel wrote:
    >> On 2006-12-14, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >>
    >>> The TWM shipped with Mandriva Linux 2007 makes titlebars
    >>> twice as tall as they should be if certain titlebar fonts
    >>> are used. [...]
    >>>
    >>> I use fixed-width font 9x15 for all my xterms and titlebars.
    >>> Previous versions of twm, for example the one in Mandriva
    >>> 2006 in package xorg-x11-6.9.0-5.10.20060mdk, make the
    >>> titlebar 20 pixels tall [...]
    >>>
    >>> The version of twm in Mandriva 2007, from package
    >>> twm-1.0.1-5mdv2007.0.i586.rpm, makes the titlebar 40 pixels
    >>> if I specify 9x15 as titlebar font. With a different
    >>> account that uses the default .twmrc, the titlebar is the
    >>> normal 20 pixels tall.

    [...]
    > Some more experimenting (based on a suggestion from the
    > person who suggested I try asking here) led to a discovery
    > that the problem was LC_CTYPE is set to en_US.UTF-8 in 2007,
    > while it was en_US in 2006. Getting rid of the ".UTF-8"
    > suffix made twm's titlebars go back to normal.

    Could TWM load a second font for the UTF-8 glyphs and size the
    title bar for the bigger of the two ? Don't answer that, it's a
    rhetorical question. But if you wanted to find out, I think
    "ltrace -o /tmp/tvm.ltrace tvm; grep X.*Font" would tell you.
    :-)

    --
    André Majorel
    (Counterfeit: itimobij@castigate.com tyc@irritable.com)
    Religion: a magic device for turning unanswerable questions into
    unquestionable answers. -- Art Gecko

+ Reply to Thread