Need help with Mouse/Pointer detection. - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Need help with Mouse/Pointer detection. - Xwindows ; In using a x/motif program thats runs on a server, PS/2 mice work OK with, but some workstations have a mouse (USB) that go much to fast. I would like to detect if the mouse is a "fast" mouse, and ...

  1. Need help with Mouse/Pointer detection.

    In using a x/motif program thats runs on a server, PS/2 mice work OK with,
    but some workstations have a mouse (USB) that go much to fast.
    I would like to detect if the mouse is a "fast" mouse, and then tune it
    using X$ChangePointerControl().
    The problem is that, when I user X$GetPointerControl() to read the mouse
    characteristics, I get the pointersettings of the MotifWindowmanager. But
    that is the wrong settings I need to change.
    My Question to you: is there a way read -using xlib e.g.- the
    mousecharactristics ('resolution', or interface) from the workstation?

    Any help appreceated.
    Axel.

  2. Re: Need help with Mouse/Pointer detection.

    "Luctor Ed Emergo" writes:
    > In using a x/motif program thats runs on a server, PS/2 mice work OK with,
    > but some workstations have a mouse (USB) that go much to fast.

    I don't know from up about Motif's way of doing things, but have a look at
    `man xset' regarding option 'm' (which sets mouse speeds). `xset q' will
    print the current settings.
    -WBE

  3. Re: Need help with Mouse/Pointer detection.

    Hallo,

    > In using a x/motif program thats runs on a server, PS/2 mice work OK with,
    > but some workstations have a mouse (USB) that go much to fast.
    > I would like to detect if the mouse is a "fast" mouse, and then tune it
    > using X$ChangePointerControl().

    If your problem is only the difference between PS2 and USB, you can simply
    check the symlink /dev/mouse to be /dev/psaux or /dev/usb/mouse (or whatever
    it is called on your system). Then you could change your XF86Config (or
    Xorg.conf) using a script to reflect a different resolution. This wouldn't
    interfere with any Motif-settings, because this setting works at a lower
    layer.

    > My Question to you: is there a way read -using xlib e.g.- the
    > mousecharactristics ('resolution', or interface) from the workstation?

    Try to look at the mouse interface (or the X-Servers detection of your mouse
    device) to decide if it is based on high- or low-resolution. I don't know if
    it is possible using X, but I don't think you could detect any
    hardware-based differences in mouse speed or acceleration using software.

    Regards,
    Sebastian

  4. Re: Need help with Mouse/Pointer detection.

    "Sebastian" wrote in message
    > Hallo,
    >
    > > In using a x/motif program thats runs on a server, PS/2 mice work OK

    with,
    > > but some workstations have a mouse (USB) that go much to fast.
    > > I would like to detect if the mouse is a "fast" mouse, and then tune it
    > > using X$ChangePointerControl().

    > If your problem is only the difference between PS2 and USB, you can simply
    > check the symlink /dev/mouse to be /dev/psaux or /dev/usb/mouse (or

    whatever
    > it is called on your system). Then you could change your XF86Config (or
    > Xorg.conf) using a script to reflect a different resolution. This wouldn't
    > interfere with any Motif-settings, because this setting works at a lower
    > layer.
    >
    > > My Question to you: is there a way read -using xlib e.g.- the
    > > mousecharactristics ('resolution', or interface) from the workstation?

    > Try to look at the mouse interface (or the X-Servers detection of your

    mouse
    > device) to decide if it is based on high- or low-resolution. I don't know

    if
    > it is possible using X, but I don't think you could detect any
    > hardware-based differences in mouse speed or acceleration using software.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sebastian

    OK thanks Sebastian. I'll have a look.

  5. Re: Need help with Mouse/Pointer detection.

    wrote in message
    > "Luctor Ed Emergo" writes:
    > > In using a x/motif program thats runs on a server, PS/2 mice work OK

    with,
    > > but some workstations have a mouse (USB) that go much to fast.

    > I don't know from up about Motif's way of doing things, but have a look at
    > `man xset' regarding option 'm' (which sets mouse speeds). `xset q' will
    > print the current settings.
    > -WBE

    Thanks WBE. Is this man xset a tool, or a command on a (dos) prompt? I don't
    know it.

  6. Re: Need help with Mouse/Pointer detection.

    "Luctor Ed Emergo" asked:
    >>> In using a x/motif program thats runs on a server, PS/2 mice work OK
    >>> with, but some workstations have a mouse (USB) that go much to fast.

    I replied:
    >> I don't know from up about Motif's way of doing things, but have a look
    >> at `man xset' regarding option 'm' (which sets mouse speeds). `xset q'
    >> will print the current settings.

    "Luctor Ed Emergo" replied:
    > Thanks WBE. Is this man xset a tool, or a command on a (dos) prompt? I
    > don't know it.

    'man' is the standard Unix online-manual-page command. xset is the
    program that changes certain X11 settings, including the mouse/cursor
    acceleration factor. If you have X11, I would expect xset to be there
    somewhere.
    -WBE

  7. Re: Need help with Mouse/Pointer detection.

    wrote in message
    > "Luctor Ed Emergo" asked:

    > I replied:
    > >> I don't know from up about Motif's way of doing things, but have a look
    > >> at `man xset' regarding option 'm' (which sets mouse speeds). `xset q'
    > >> will print the current settings.

    > "Luctor Ed Emergo" replied:
    > > Thanks WBE. Is this man xset a tool, or a command on a (dos) prompt? I
    > > don't know it.

    > 'man' is the standard Unix online-manual-page command. xset is the
    > program that changes certain X11 settings, including the mouse/cursor
    > acceleration factor. If you have X11, I would expect xset to be there
    > somewhere.
    > -WBEWBE

    OK. We will shortly receive a (first) Linux PC to do tests. I'm new to Linux
    :-/
    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread