xpdf: funny behaviour - Xwindows

This is a discussion on xpdf: funny behaviour - Xwindows ; I just observed a funny behavior from xpdf. While browsing the C spec. from http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/ I could use the find function to find "quali" but not to find "qualif", which is surely all over the place in the document....

  1. xpdf: funny behaviour

    I just observed a funny behavior from xpdf.

    While browsing the C spec. from http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/
    I could use the find function to find "quali" but not to find "qualif",
    which is surely all over the place in the document.

  2. Re: xpdf: funny behaviour

    On 8 Dec 2006 at 15:45, unix_fan wrote:
    > I just observed a funny behavior from xpdf.
    >
    > While browsing the C spec. from
    > http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/ I could use the find function
    > to find "quali" but not to find "qualif", which is surely all over the
    > place in the document.

    Probably a ligature fi comes after "quali", rather than two separate
    letters f and i.

    --
    email: echo t.adllkhsl@iypzavs.hj.br | tr a-gh-pq-z t-za-ij-s

  3. Re: xpdf: funny behaviour

    In article ,
    Tweedale wrote:

    >Probably a ligature fi comes after "quali", rather than two separate
    >letters f and i.

    Yes there is. Some other pdf readers (e.g. Apple's Preview) find it
    correctly.

    -- Richard
    in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.

  4. Re: xpdf: funny behaviour

    On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 17:00:17 +0000, Richard Tobin wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Tweedale wrote:
    >
    >>Probably a ligature fi comes after "quali", rather than two separate
    >>letters f and i.

    > Yes there is. Some other pdf readers (e.g. Apple's Preview) find it
    > correctly.
    >
    > -- Richard

    Ah, of course! That sounds logical ... only, I've been using xpdf for
    years and haven't ever run into that before. Weird. Maybe just luck. Or
    maybe the ISO is the only outfit that bothers about fonts with ligatures.

    Thank you guys.

+ Reply to Thread