xterm - how to disable eight-bit rewriting - Xwindows

This is a discussion on xterm - how to disable eight-bit rewriting - Xwindows ; How can I turn off eight bit mode in xterm? After much searching and false accusations, I discovered that xterm rewrites the sequence ]v (as well as other sequences). By default, on SuSE linux (which I will shortly be abandoning), ...

  1. xterm - how to disable eight-bit rewriting

    How can I turn off eight bit mode in xterm?

    After much searching and false accusations, I discovered that xterm
    rewrites the sequence ]v (as well as other sequences). By default,
    on SuSE linux (which I will shortly be abandoning), xterm translates
    ]v to o-umlaut (an o with two dots on it). By setting

    XTerm*eightBitInput:false

    in .Xdefaults, I have achieved that it "only" rewrites ]v to ](escape)v
    (this, by the way, is also what rxvt does).

    By modifying the xterm function HandleEightBitKeyPressed(), I have
    gotten to the point where no re-writing happens. But that's tacky.

    The resources:

    ! the following three do not seem to turn off eightbit mode
    ! (which causes ]v to be converted to ]ESCv when typed rapidly)
    XTerm*metaSendsEscape:false
    XTerm*eightBitOutput:false
    XTerm*eightBitControl:false

    (and reloading the rdb and starting a new xterm)
    do not succeed in configuring this (in searching for a less tacky solution).

    What is the best list to moan and complain about xterm?

  2. Re: xterm - how to disable eight-bit rewriting

    Thomas Mellman writes:

    > What is the best list to moan and complain about xterm?

    This is a good one.
    The author reads and posts here.

+ Reply to Thread