Garbled screen running Ubuntu on Sony VAIO PCG-748 - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Garbled screen running Ubuntu on Sony VAIO PCG-748 - Xwindows ; I recently installed Ubuntu 5.1 on an old Sony VAIO PCG-748. It's a little slow, but still gets things done. I managed to get the system to run at 1024x768 in 16-bit and 15-bit graphics mode. However, sometimes, the middle ...

  1. Garbled screen running Ubuntu on Sony VAIO PCG-748

    I recently installed Ubuntu 5.1 on an old Sony VAIO PCG-748. It's a
    little slow, but still gets things done. I managed to get the system to
    run at 1024x768 in 16-bit and 15-bit graphics mode. However, sometimes,
    the middle of the screen gets garbled when displaying dialog boxes (see
    photo below). Anyone know what's the deal? What are some fixes? Seems
    that the video memory is corrupted or something.

    http://www.gearhack.com/Forums/Compu...en/Garbled.png

    Chieh
    --
    Camera Hacker - http://www.CameraHacker.com/

  2. Re: Garbled screen running Ubuntu on Sony VAIO PCG-748

    "gypsy3001@yahoo.com" writes:

    > I recently installed Ubuntu 5.1 on an old Sony VAIO PCG-748. It's a
    > little slow, but still gets things done. I managed to get the system to
    > run at 1024x768 in 16-bit and 15-bit graphics mode. However, sometimes,
    > the middle of the screen gets garbled when displaying dialog boxes (see
    > photo below). Anyone know what's the deal? What are some fixes? Seems
    > that the video memory is corrupted or something.

    That looks like something is overwriting parts of the video memory
    used by those windows. If it happens to all apps, I'd suspect the X
    server. If it only happens to QT based apps, as in the screenshot,
    I'd be inclined to blame QT.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@inprovide.com

  3. Re: Garbled screen running Ubuntu on Sony VAIO PCG-748

    Måns Rullgård writes:

    > "gypsy3001@yahoo.com" writes:
    >
    >> I recently installed Ubuntu 5.1 on an old Sony VAIO PCG-748. It's a
    >> little slow, but still gets things done. I managed to get the system to
    >> run at 1024x768 in 16-bit and 15-bit graphics mode. However, sometimes,
    >> the middle of the screen gets garbled when displaying dialog boxes (see
    >> photo below). Anyone know what's the deal? What are some fixes? Seems
    >> that the video memory is corrupted or something.

    > That looks like something is overwriting parts of the video memory
    > used by those windows. If it happens to all apps, I'd suspect the X
    > server. If it only happens to QT based apps, as in the screenshot,
    > I'd be inclined to blame QT.

    I'd guess that's at the X Server level.
    You might check the BIOS video memory settings vs. the ones
    X is using.

  4. Re: Garbled screen running Ubuntu on Sony VAIO PCG-748

    Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > That looks like something is overwriting parts of the video memory
    > used by those windows. If it happens to all apps, I'd suspect the X
    > server. If it only happens to QT based apps, as in the screenshot,
    > I'd be inclined to blame QT.

    Thanks. How did you determine that the dialog box is a QT based app? It
    is the standard network component that came with Ubuntu. I'm asking so
    that I can determine which app is QT and which app is X server. Thanks.

    Chieh
    --
    Camera Hacker - http://www.CameraHacker.com/

  5. Re: Garbled screen running Ubuntu on Sony VAIO PCG-748

    "gypsy3001@yahoo.com" writes:

    > Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >> That looks like something is overwriting parts of the video memory
    >> used by those windows. If it happens to all apps, I'd suspect the X
    >> server. If it only happens to QT based apps, as in the screenshot,
    >> I'd be inclined to blame QT.

    > Thanks. How did you determine that the dialog box is a QT based app? It
    > is the standard network component that came with Ubuntu. I'm asking so
    > that I can determine which app is QT and which app is X server. Thanks.

    I recognized the standard look of QT widgets.

    Try restricting the amount of video RAM X uses with a VideoRam
    directive in the Device section of your X configuration file. If the
    X server is detecting the amount incorrectly it could result in
    corruption like yours.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@inprovide.com

  6. Re: Garbled screen running Ubuntu on Sony VAIO PCG-748

    Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > That looks like something is overwriting parts of the video memory
    > used by those windows. If it happens to all apps, I'd suspect the X
    > server. If it only happens to QT based apps, as in the screenshot,
    > I'd be inclined to blame QT.

    I am not sure how I can differentiate between a non-QT app versus a QT
    app. How did you tell that was a QT app?

    Chieh
    --
    Camera Hacker - http://www.CameraHacker.com/

+ Reply to Thread