Need help with events - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Need help with events - Xwindows ; I need to be able to uniquely correlate mouse button presses with on-screen actions. For example, if I click on my browser's back button, I want to know that the mouse events occured on that button rather than in the ...

  1. Need help with events

    I need to be able to uniquely correlate mouse button presses with
    on-screen actions. For example, if I click on my browser's back button,
    I want to know that the mouse events occured on that button rather than
    in the enclosing window. So far, I've looked at xev and xmon for
    capturing events. However, the events reported to the application seem
    to be at too high a level, for my purposes. Perhaps I'm overlooking
    something since I'm still learning about X.

    Could someone point me in the right direction? Offer some suggestions?

    i.

  2. Re: Need help with events

    On 24 Oct 2006 14:17:01 -0700, "Igor" wrote:

    >I need to be able to uniquely correlate mouse button presses with
    >on-screen actions. For example, if I click on my browser's back button,
    >I want to know that the mouse events occured on that button rather than
    >in the enclosing window. So far, I've looked at xev and xmon for
    >capturing events. However, the events reported to the application seem
    >to be at too high a level, for my purposes. Perhaps I'm overlooking
    >something since I'm still learning about X.
    >
    >Could someone point me in the right direction? Offer some suggestions?

    Applications usually rely on a toolkit (like Xt) to direct events to
    the right entity (technically known as a 'widget'). If it so wishes,
    the application can be notified through a callback that some
    widget-specific 'action' associated with the event has been performed.

    Programming in pure X is a sure recipe for stomach pains...

    >i.

+ Reply to Thread