Q: How to open GUI app in different desktop? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Q: How to open GUI app in different desktop? - Xwindows ; How can I open applications in virtual desktops in KDE different from the current one? Assuming I have 4 virtual desktops and I wish to open applications in different desktops 1, 2, 3 and 4, what parameters do I add ...

  1. Q: How to open GUI app in different desktop?

    How can I open applications in virtual desktops in KDE different from the
    current one?

    Assuming I have 4 virtual desktops and I wish to open applications in
    different desktops 1, 2, 3 and 4, what parameters do I add after the
    program calls in the below simple shell script?

    Is there a universal method that works for nearly all windown managers?

    #!/bin/sh

    /usr/bin/knode
    /us/bin/mozilla
    /usr/bin/ooffice
    /usr/bin/amarok

  2. Re: Q: How to open GUI app in different desktop?

    On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 16:07:21 +0200, tuxedo
    wrote:

    >How can I open applications in virtual desktops in KDE different from the
    >current one?
    >
    >Assuming I have 4 virtual desktops and I wish to open applications in
    >different desktops 1, 2, 3 and 4, what parameters do I add after the
    >program calls in the below simple shell script?
    >
    >Is there a universal method that works for nearly all windown managers?
    >
    >#!/bin/sh
    >
    >/usr/bin/knode
    >/us/bin/mozilla
    >/usr/bin/ooffice
    >/usr/bin/amarok

    There is a Perl module, or you can use wmctrl itself

    use X11::WMCtrl;
    # based on the EWMH specification:
    # http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/wm-spec/
    # wmctrl only works with window managers which implement
    # this specification.
    # The homepage of wmctrl:
    # http://sweb.cz/tripie/utils/wmctrl/
    # wmctrl must be installed somewhere in the path

    I use it to automatically load apps to my various virtual desktops.

    http://zentara.net/japh.html

+ Reply to Thread