Open-source driver list - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Open-source driver list - Xwindows ; Hi all, I've been in the market for a new video card for about a week now. Shopping around I for a chipset that is fully (or mostly) supported by an open-source driver has proved to be a challenge. I've ...

  1. Open-source driver list

    Hi all,

    I've been in the market for a new video card for about a
    week now. Shopping around I for a chipset that is fully
    (or mostly) supported by an open-source driver has proved
    to be a challenge.

    I've failed to find a web-site that maintains a list of
    open-source friendly vendors. Basically a list of chipset
    vendors that freely provide documentation for their
    products.

    Is there such a living document?

    I find it very disturbing that the open-source community,
    or at least a formidable number of open-source users, have
    /openly/ accepted binary-only drivers from vendors such as
    ATI and Nvidia!

    In my view, this does nothing but encourage other vendors
    to adopt this sort of practice with their products as well.
    Anyway, off of my soapbox.

  2. Re: Open-source driver list

    patrick wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've been in the market for a new video card for about a
    > week now. Shopping around I for a chipset that is fully
    > (or mostly) supported by an open-source driver has proved
    > to be a challenge.
    >
    > I've failed to find a web-site that maintains a list of
    > open-source friendly vendors. Basically a list of chipset
    > vendors that freely provide documentation for their
    > products.
    >
    > Is there such a living document?

    And old pci fx5200 should work with nv driver (open source).
    I'm in the similar situation as you are except I need a mobo, cpu and
    ram.
    I'd buy intel965 to reward Intel for the oss x11 driver they released
    recently except
    I want ecc ram.
    With fx5200 I'd give $70 something bucks to rodrigues v2.0 to have a
    kid #7 by Mary Jane
    (I'm not anxious to do that, we have enough fat teresas walking the
    streets of California
    already). So I'm not sure what's the best course of action is.
    Radeon X1300 is inexpensive, but is there an open source xorg driver
    for it?
    If not I'll probably just get a matrox G450 pci.

+ Reply to Thread