PC running Cygwin/X connecting to AIX server - Xwindows

This is a discussion on PC running Cygwin/X connecting to AIX server - Xwindows ; Hello, I'm new to X Windows so excuse my ignorance. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the "server"/"client" definitions in relation to X Windows. I have installed Cygwin/X on my PC and would like to connect to my ...

  1. PC running Cygwin/X connecting to AIX server

    Hello,

    I'm new to X Windows so excuse my ignorance. I'm still trying to wrap
    my head around the "server"/"client" definitions in relation to X
    Windows.

    I have installed Cygwin/X on my PC and would like to connect to my
    server running AIX 5.3. I can't seem to figure out how to connect.

    Basically, I have changed the DISPLAY variable on my AIX server as
    "pcname:0.0" and then I run my application on my AIX server.

    Now on my pc, I can't figure out how to connect to the AIX server to
    see my application that is running on it.

    Any ideas would be grateful.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: PC running Cygwin/X connecting to AIX server

    "dawaves" wrote in message
    news:1159450767.779949.85420@d34g2000cwd.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm new to X Windows so excuse my ignorance. I'm still trying to wrap
    > my head around the "server"/"client" definitions in relation to X
    > Windows.
    >
    > I have installed Cygwin/X on my PC and would like to connect to my
    > server running AIX 5.3. I can't seem to figure out how to connect.

    In the X Window System, the server is the platform connected to the screen
    in front of you.
    The client is the application sending its output to that screen.

    > Basically, I have changed the DISPLAY variable on my AIX server as
    > "pcname:0.0" and then I run my application on my AIX server.
    >
    > Now on my pc, I can't figure out how to connect to the AIX server to
    > see my application that is running on it.
    >
    > Any ideas would be grateful.
    >
    > Thanks!

    You need to have the X server running BEFORE you execute the application
    from
    another platform. In Cygwin/X, you should run the startxwin.bat or
    startxwin.sh
    script. See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using.html#using-starting
    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt