window/icon name setting problem in xterm - Xwindows

This is a discussion on window/icon name setting problem in xterm - Xwindows ; Hello, I just upgraded to suse 10.1 and use fvwm. Before the upgrade I used xterm -geometry 75x25+400+400 - vb -bg navy -fg grey -ls -e xtermset -n Wind -T Wind to have window tab and icon name Wind. (xterm ...

  1. window/icon name setting problem in xterm

    Hello,
    I just upgraded to suse 10.1 and use fvwm.
    Before the upgrade I used
    xterm -geometry 75x25+400+400 -vb -bg navy -fg grey -ls -e xtermset -n
    Wind -T Wind
    to have window tab and icon name Wind.

    (xterm -geometry 75x25+400+400 -vb -bg navy -fg grey -ls -n Wind -T
    Wind would not work properly)

    Now the first command above does not work (with or without -ls)
    All I can get is directory on the window tab and the name of the
    machine as an icon. Then I can't differentiate between windows with
    different icons/tab names.

    How to fix that?
    Thanks,
    Mark

  2. Re: window/icon name setting problem in xterm

    mzp3769@yahoo.com writes:

    > Hello,
    > I just upgraded to suse 10.1 and use fvwm.
    > Before the upgrade I used
    > xterm -geometry 75x25+400+400 -vb -bg navy -fg grey -ls -e xtermset -n
    > Wind -T Wind
    > to have window tab and icon name Wind.

    From the xterm man page:

    -e program [ arguments ... ]
    This option specifies the program (and its command line argu-
    ments) to be run in the xterm window. It also sets the window
    title and icon name to be the basename of the program being
    executed if neither -T nor -n are given on the command line.
    This must be the last option on the command line.

  3. Re: window/icon name setting problem in xterm

    yes, that's the point -e xtermset -n Wind -T Wind is the last command
    for xterm
    and -n Wind -T Wind are not given xterm options. But why the
    window/icon title is not set
    properly?
    Mark

    Dan Espen wrote:
    > mzp3769@yahoo.com writes:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > > I just upgraded to suse 10.1 and use fvwm.
    > > Before the upgrade I used
    > > xterm -geometry 75x25+400+400 -vb -bg navy -fg grey -ls -e xtermset -n
    > > Wind -T Wind
    > > to have window tab and icon name Wind.

    > From the xterm man page:
    >
    > -e program [ arguments ... ]
    > This option specifies the program (and its command line argu-
    > ments) to be run in the xterm window. It also sets the window
    > title and icon name to be the basename of the program being
    > executed if neither -T nor -n are given on the command line.
    > This must be the last option on the command line.

  4. Re: window/icon name setting problem in xterm

    mzp3769@yahoo.com writes:
    > Dan Espen wrote:
    >> mzp3769@yahoo.com writes:
    >>
    >> > Hello,
    >> > I just upgraded to suse 10.1 and use fvwm.
    >> > Before the upgrade I used
    >> > xterm -geometry 75x25+400+400 -vb -bg navy -fg grey -ls -e xtermset -n
    >> > Wind -T Wind
    >> > to have window tab and icon name Wind.

    >> From the xterm man page:
    >>
    >> -e program [ arguments ... ]
    >> This option specifies the program (and its command line argu-
    >> ments) to be run in the xterm window. It also sets the window
    >> title and icon name to be the basename of the program being
    >> executed if neither -T nor -n are given on the command line.
    >> This must be the last option on the command line.

    > yes, that's the point -e xtermset -n Wind -T Wind is the last command
    > for xterm
    > and -n Wind -T Wind are not given xterm options. But why the
    > window/icon title is not set
    > properly?

    I don't think you understand
    -n and -T are xterm options.
    As far as I know, you don't want to pass those options
    to a program called xtermset.

    There is no program on my system called xtermset.
    What is it and what do you expect it to do?
    I don't think you want to use the -e option.

    Try removing -e xtermset.

  5. Re: window/icon name setting problem in xterm

    mzp3769@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I just upgraded to suse 10.1 and use fvwm.
    > Before the upgrade I used
    > xterm -geometry 75x25+400+400 -vb -bg navy -fg grey -ls -e xtermset -n
    > Wind -T Wind
    > to have window tab and icon name Wind.

    xterm -geometry 75x25+400+400 -vb -bg navy -fg grey -ls -n Wind -T Wind
    -e /bin/sh

    HTH
    Preben

+ Reply to Thread