X eating lots of CPU on Mandriva 2006 - Xwindows

This is a discussion on X eating lots of CPU on Mandriva 2006 - Xwindows ; I am running Mandriva Linux 2006 on an eMachines box. When the machine has been up for a while, X Windows starts consuming a lot of CPU. I have no idea why it does this. I would prefer not to ...

  1. X eating lots of CPU on Mandriva 2006

    I am running Mandriva Linux 2006 on an eMachines box. When the machine
    has been up for a while, X Windows starts consuming a lot of CPU. I
    have no idea why it does this. I would prefer not to log in and out of
    X when I see this. Is there a fix? Or at least some hope of insight as
    to what is happening?

    Thanks
    Will Ware

    Here's the first few lines of output from top:
    12240 root 25 0 250m 75m 2976 R 94.7 8.5 1986:11 X
    15890 wware 39 19 110m 86m 5016 R 4.5 9.8 6:17.76
    rosetta_5.25_i6
    5034 root 17 0 4320 1500 1044 S 0.3 0.2 37:59.80 hald

    My /proc/cpuinfo says:
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 6
    model : 10
    model name : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+
    stepping : 0
    cpu MHz : 2171.808
    cache size : 512 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 1
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
    mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
    bogomips : 4292.60

  2. Re: X eating lots of CPU on Mandriva 2006

    will.ware@gmail.com wrote:
    > X Windows starts consuming a lot of CPU...

    The right diagnostic tool for this is strace, which must be run as
    root. It needs to be run from a text console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) otherwise
    the whole machine may lock up and you need to power cycle.

    http://www.linuxcommand.org/man_pages/strace1.html
    http://tinyurl.com/mrv3w
    http://tinyurl.com/klvte

    Get the PID of your X process and feed it to strace as a command line
    argument. This will give a running log of system calls and signals.

    % strace -xx -p

    Another useful thing is xlsclients, which must be run from inside X.

+ Reply to Thread