X0 Socket - Xwindows

This is a discussion on X0 Socket - Xwindows ; why does the X0 socket have world rwx permissions? I notice no difference in the way KDE works when I chmod 700 X0. Thanks. -- Using OpenBSD with or without X & KDE? http://dfeustel.home.mindspring.com...

  1. X0 Socket

    --
    Using OpenBSD with or without X & KDE?
    http://dfeustel.home.mindspring.com

  2. Re: X0 Socket

    dfeustel@mindspring.com writes in comp.windows.x:
    |why does the X0 socket have world rwx permissions?

    Because you may want to allow other UID's to access your display and
    X has it's own authentication mechanisms (xhost and xauth) to allow
    for that.

    --
    Alan Coopersmith * alanc@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
    http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/ * http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/

  3. Re: X0 Socket

    Alan Coopersmith wrote:
    > dfeustel@mindspring.com writes in comp.windows.x:
    > |why does the X0 socket have world rwx permissions?
    >
    > Because you may want to allow other UID's to access your display and
    > X has it's own authentication mechanisms (xhost and xauth) to allow
    > for that.

    That's what I surmised. What I have experienced recently is that
    I am getting kde DCOP authorization error messages where some process
    is generating error messages in the logfile by attempting to access
    the socket when its permissions are set to 700. I am the only user of
    the system where this is happening. It looks to me like DCOP
    and Konqueror (the only two kde/X programs I am running) have some
    security problems that make running with X0 permissions set to 700
    a useful security measure.
    --
    Using OpenBSD with or without X & KDE?
    http://dfeustel.home.mindspring.com