Unexpected WM_NAME property format - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Unexpected WM_NAME property format - Xwindows ; I create a dialogue with XmCreateFileSelectionDialogue and set its dialogTitle resource with a string obtained by converting the ASCII string "Select A File" using XmStringCreateSimple. On recent systems (Gnome/Fedora Core 5/OpenMotif 2.3.0), the title doesn't appear. On these systems, xprop ...

  1. Unexpected WM_NAME property format

    I create a dialogue with XmCreateFileSelectionDialogue and set its
    dialogTitle resource with a string obtained by converting the ASCII string
    "Select A File" using XmStringCreateSimple.

    On recent systems (Gnome/Fedora Core 5/OpenMotif 2.3.0), the title doesn't
    appear. On these systems, xprop reports:

    WM_NAME(COMPOUND_TEXT) = "\033%/0\200\223UTF-8\002Select A File"

    Is that a valid compound text string? If so, what does it mean?

    Rob.

  2. Re: Unexpected WM_NAME property format

    "Rob Arthan" wrote in message
    >I create a dialogue with XmCreateFileSelectionDialogue and set its
    > dialogTitle resource with a string obtained by converting the ASCII string
    > "Select A File" using XmStringCreateSimple.
    >
    > On recent systems (Gnome/Fedora Core 5/OpenMotif 2.3.0), the title doesn't
    > appear. On these systems, xprop reports:
    >
    > WM_NAME(COMPOUND_TEXT) = "\033%/0\200\223UTF-8\002Select A File"
    >
    > Is that a valid compound text string? If so, what does it mean?
    >
    > Rob.

    Do not use XmStringCreateSimple() - it has long since been deprecated, and
    on some releases of Motif2.1 does not work properly.

    Use XmStringCreateLocalized() (also deprecated, but works properly) or
    XmStringGenerate().
    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow

  3. Re: Unexpected WM_NAME property format

    Fred Kleinschmidt wrote:

    > "Rob Arthan" wrote in message
    >>I create a dialogue with XmCreateFileSelectionDialogue and set its
    >> dialogTitle resource with a string obtained by converting the ASCII
    >> string "Select A File" using XmStringCreateSimple.
    >>
    >> On recent systems (Gnome/Fedora Core 5/OpenMotif 2.3.0), the title
    >> doesn't appear. On these systems, xprop reports:
    >>
    >> WM_NAME(COMPOUND_TEXT) = "\033%/0\200\223UTF-8\002Select A File"
    >>
    >> Is that a valid compound text string? If so, what does it mean?
    >>
    >> Rob.
    >>

    > Do not use XmStringCreateSimple() - it has long since been deprecated, and
    > on some releases of Motif2.1 does not work properly.
    >
    > Use XmStringCreateLocalized() (also deprecated, but works properly) or
    > XmStringGenerate().

    That doesn't answer my question and, as a glance at the Motif 2.3.0 source
    will show you, is completely irrelevant.

    If anyone could answer my question about the format of this WM_NAME
    property, I would be very grateful.

    Regards,

    Rob.

+ Reply to Thread