Grouping similar tasks - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Grouping similar tasks - Xwindows ; It doesn't work with my application. So I am wondering what should I do programming-wise to inform KDE (or Gnome) that multiple windows of my own application should be grouped together. In other words, how do KDE/Gnome decide that some ...

  1. Grouping similar tasks

    It doesn't work with my application. So I am wondering what should I do
    programming-wise to inform KDE (or Gnome) that multiple windows of my
    own application should be grouped together. In other words, how do
    KDE/Gnome decide that some windows need to be grouped together?

    Thank you,

  2. Re: Grouping similar tasks

    wrote in message
    news:1154481478.933786.149120@m79g2000cwm.googlegr oups.com...
    > It doesn't work with my application. So I am wondering what should I do
    > programming-wise to inform KDE (or Gnome) that multiple windows of my
    > own application should be grouped together. In other words, how do
    > KDE/Gnome decide that some windows need to be grouped together?
    >
    > Thank you,

    I'm not sure what you mean by :grouped together". The user can usually drag
    any shell window to any place on the screen she wants it.

    For the original popup position, it is the application's responsibility to
    say
    where the window should be displayed (by specifying XmNx and XmNy for the
    shell).
    Note that this is usually just a hint to the window manager, which may
    ignore the hint
    and place the window at some seemingly random position.
    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow