Copy/Paste with Octave on Windows - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Copy/Paste with Octave on Windows - Xwindows ; I have two PCs running Windows XP. I set up (the Matlab-like) Octave on both. In one case I used the Cygwin version and in the other case I use the non-Cygwin version. The latter case was more straight-forward in ...

  1. Copy/Paste with Octave on Windows

    I have two PCs running Windows XP. I set up (the Matlab-like) Octave
    on both. In one case I used the Cygwin version and in the other case I
    use the non-Cygwin version. The latter case was more straight-forward
    in that I only needed to click on the desktop icon. With Cygwin, I
    needed to start an X-Windows application then start Octave.

    My problem is that in neither case was I able to paste text from a
    Windows application. Ctrl-V would not work and there was no pull-down
    menu. Is there any solution to this?

    Many thanks in advance,
    Peter.

  2. Re: Copy/Paste with Octave on Windows

    On 2006-07-29, MajorSetback@excite.com wrote:
    > I have two PCs running Windows XP. I set up (the Matlab-like) Octave
    > on both. In one case I used the Cygwin version and in the other case I
    > use the non-Cygwin version. The latter case was more straight-forward
    > in that I only needed to click on the desktop icon. With Cygwin, I
    > needed to start an X-Windows application then start Octave.
    >
    > My problem is that in neither case was I able to paste text from a
    > Windows application. Ctrl-V would not work and there was no pull-down
    > menu. Is there any solution to this?

    the middle mouse button has historically been for pasting in X
    I don't know if it's connected to the windows clipboard on your
    system though.

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen

  3. Re: Copy/Paste with Octave on Windows

    jasen wrote:
    > On 2006-07-29, MajorSetback@excite.com wrote:
    >> I have two PCs running Windows XP. I set up (the Matlab-like) Octave
    >> on both. In one case I used the Cygwin version and in the other case I
    >> use the non-Cygwin version. The latter case was more straight-forward
    >> in that I only needed to click on the desktop icon. With Cygwin, I
    >> needed to start an X-Windows application then start Octave.
    >>
    >> My problem is that in neither case was I able to paste text from a
    >> Windows application. Ctrl-V would not work and there was no pull-down
    >> menu. Is there any solution to this?

    > the middle mouse button has historically been for pasting in X
    > I don't know if it's connected to the windows clipboard on your
    > system though.

    I have never used Octave, but I guess it runs on Windows, with or
    without Cygwin, in a "DOS" box -- a MS Windows command line windows. In
    this case, you must have an enhance system menu located on the
    upper-left corner of the window, that is within the title bar, on its
    left, right click on the small graphic/icon. A one-column menu should
    open and you can get access to the edit functionalities in a sub-menu
    near the bottom of the column. You will notice that there are no
    shortcuts available for the cut, copy, or past commands, therefore you
    will have to use this menu every time you want to copy or past data
    between the DOS Box and some Windows applications.

    HTH,
    Jean-Marc

  4. Re: Copy/Paste with Octave on Windows

    jasen wrote:
    > On 2006-07-29, MajorSetback@excite.com wrote:
    > > I have two PCs running Windows XP. I set up (the Matlab-like) Octave
    > > on both. In one case I used the Cygwin version and in the other case I
    > > use the non-Cygwin version. The latter case was more straight-forward
    > > in that I only needed to click on the desktop icon. With Cygwin, I
    > > needed to start an X-Windows application then start Octave.
    > >
    > > My problem is that in neither case was I able to paste text from a
    > > Windows application. Ctrl-V would not work and there was no pull-down
    > > menu. Is there any solution to this?

    > the middle mouse button has historically been for pasting in X
    > I don't know if it's connected to the windows clipboard on your
    > system though.

    Unfortunately the Windows mouse has only two buttons, at least in my
    experience.

    Thanks,
    Peter.

  5. Re: Copy/Paste with Octave on Windows

    Jean-Marc Gulliet wrote:
    > jasen wrote:
    > > On 2006-07-29, MajorSetback@excite.com wrote:
    > >> I have two PCs running Windows XP. I set up (the Matlab-like) Octave
    > >> on both. In one case I used the Cygwin version and in the other case I
    > >> use the non-Cygwin version. The latter case was more straight-forward
    > >> in that I only needed to click on the desktop icon. With Cygwin, I
    > >> needed to start an X-Windows application then start Octave.
    > >>
    > >> My problem is that in neither case was I able to paste text from a
    > >> Windows application. Ctrl-V would not work and there was no pull-down
    > >> menu. Is there any solution to this?

    > > the middle mouse button has historically been for pasting in X
    > > I don't know if it's connected to the windows clipboard on your
    > > system though.

    > I have never used Octave, but I guess it runs on Windows, with or
    > without Cygwin, in a "DOS" box -- a MS Windows command line windows. In
    > this case, you must have an enhance system menu located on the
    > upper-left corner of the window, that is within the title bar, on its
    > left, right click on the small graphic/icon. A one-column menu should
    > open and you can get access to the edit functionalities in a sub-menu
    > near the bottom of the column. You will notice that there are no
    > shortcuts available for the cut, copy, or past commands, therefore you
    > will have to use this menu every time you want to copy or past data
    > between the DOS Box and some Windows applications.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Jean-Marc

    Unfortunately, I appears to have even fewer options than MS DOS. I
    R-click on the X and do get a menu but all that it offers is : Move,
    Size, Minimize, Maximize and Close (Alt-F4). I was also unable to get
    help on startx in the MS DOS window. I tried
    $ help startx
    and
    $ startx/?

    to no avail. In the DOS window, I went to Properties and checked both
    "Quick Edit Mode" and "Insert Mode" under the edit properties. Still
    no joy.

    Thanks,
    Peter.

  6. Re: Copy/Paste with Octave on Windows

    MajorSetback@excite.com wrote:
    > I have two PCs running Windows XP. I set up (the Matlab-like) Octave
    > on both. In one case I used the Cygwin version and in the other case I
    > use the non-Cygwin version. The latter case was more straight-forward
    > in that I only needed to click on the desktop icon. With Cygwin, I
    > needed to start an X-Windows application then start Octave.
    >
    > My problem is that in neither case was I able to paste text from a
    > Windows application. Ctrl-V would not work and there was no pull-down
    > menu. Is there any solution to this?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    > Peter.

    Hey, folks. Just found out that Shift-Insert works. Hold down the
    Shift ket and press the Insert key.

  7. Re: Copy/Paste with Octave on Windows

    wrote in message
    news:1154284106.162126.103270@p79g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
    > Jean-Marc Gulliet wrote:
    >> jasen wrote:

    >> > the middle mouse button has historically been for pasting in X
    >> > I don't know if it's connected to the windows clipboard on your
    >> > system though.

    >> I have never used Octave, but I guess it runs on Windows, with or
    >> without Cygwin, in a "DOS" box -- a MS Windows command line windows. In
    >> this case, you must have an enhance system menu located on the
    >> upper-left corner of the window, that is within the title bar, on its
    >> left, right click on the small graphic/icon. A one-column menu should
    >> open and you can get access to the edit functionalities in a sub-menu
    >> near the bottom of the column. You will notice that there are no
    >> shortcuts available for the cut, copy, or past commands, therefore you
    >> will have to use this menu every time you want to copy or past data
    >> between the DOS Box and some Windows applications.
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >> Jean-Marc

    > Unfortunately, I appears to have even fewer options than MS DOS. I
    > R-click on the X and do get a menu but all that it offers is : Move,
    > Size, Minimize, Maximize and Close (Alt-F4). I was also unable to get
    > help on startx in the MS DOS window. I tried
    > $ help startx
    > and
    > $ startx/?
    >
    > to no avail. In the DOS window, I went to Properties and checked both
    > "Quick Edit Mode" and "Insert Mode" under the edit properties. Still
    > no joy.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Peter.

    I think that you need the "-clipboard" option when you start X under
    cygwin. Refer to either "startxwin.bat" or "startxwin.sh" in the
    /usr/X11R6/bin directory.

    # -clipboard
    # Enable the integrated version of xwinclip. Do not use in
    # conjunction with the xwinclip program.

    --Mark

  8. Re: Copy/Paste with Octave on Windows

    On 2006-07-30, MajorSetback@excite.com wrote:
    > jasen wrote:
    >>
    >> > My problem is that in neither case was I able to paste text from a
    >> > Windows application. Ctrl-V would not work and there was no pull-down
    >> > menu. Is there any solution to this?

    >> the middle mouse button has historically been for pasting in X
    >> I don't know if it's connected to the windows clipboard on your
    >> system though.

    > Unfortunately the Windows mouse has only two buttons, at least in my
    > experience.

    they've had three for a few years now, the middle one doubles as a
    scroll wheel.

    also in some versions of X clicking the left and right buttons at the same
    time will emulate the middle button.

    Bye.
    Jasen

  9. Re: Copy/Paste with Octave on Windows

    jasen wrote:

    > >> the middle mouse button has historically been for pasting in X
    > >> I don't know if it's connected to the windows clipboard on your
    > >> system though.

    > > Unfortunately the Windows mouse has only two buttons, at least in my
    > > experience.

    > they've had three for a few years now, the middle one doubles as a
    > scroll wheel.
    >
    > also in some versions of X clicking the left and right buttons at the same
    > time will emulate the middle button.

    My mistake. I did not realize it was anything but a scroller.

    Thanks,
    Peter.

  10. Re: Copy/Paste with Octave on Windows

    Mark B Stucky wrote:
    > wrote in message
    > >
    > > Unfortunately, I appears to have even fewer options than MS DOS. I
    > > R-click on the X and do get a menu but all that it offers is : Move,
    > > Size, Minimize, Maximize and Close (Alt-F4). I was also unable to get
    > > help on startx in the MS DOS window. I tried
    > > $ help startx
    > > and
    > > $ startx/?
    > >
    > > to no avail. In the DOS window, I went to Properties and checked both
    > > "Quick Edit Mode" and "Insert Mode" under the edit properties. Still
    > > no joy.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Peter.

    > I think that you need the "-clipboard" option when you start X under
    > cygwin. Refer to either "startxwin.bat" or "startxwin.sh" in the
    > /usr/X11R6/bin directory.
    >
    > # -clipboard
    > # Enable the integrated version of xwinclip. Do not use in
    > # conjunction with the xwinclip program.

    Thanks for the feedback but I have found that I can use Shift-Insert in
    regular mode to do what I wanted.

    Thanks,
    Peter.

+ Reply to Thread