When should SendCoreEvents be used? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on When should SendCoreEvents be used? - Xwindows ; I am still not clear on this material, and I am writing a suite of X config tools...this is really the only sticking point now, having gotten the parser out of the way: In the absence of an explicitly specified ...

  1. When should SendCoreEvents be used?

    I am still not clear on this material, and I am writing a suite of X
    config tools...this is really the only sticking point now, having
    gotten the parser out of the way:

    In the absence of an explicitly specified core input device, the first
    InputDevice marked as CorePointer (or CoreKeyboard) is used. If there
    is no match there, the first InputDevice that uses the "mouse" (or
    "keyboard" or "kbd") driver is used. The final fallback is to use
    built-in default configurations.

    InputDevice sections recognise some driver-independent Options, which
    are described here. See the individual input driver manual pages for a
    description of the device-specific options.

    Option "CorePointer"
    When this is set, the input device is installed as the core
    (primary) pointer device. There must be exactly one core pointer. If
    this option is not set here, or in the ServerLayout section, or from
    the -pointer command line option, then the first input device that is
    capable of being used as a core pointer will be selected as the core
    pointer. This option is implicitly set when the obsolete Pointer
    section is used.
    Option "CoreKeyboard"
    When this is set, the input device is to be installed as the core
    (primary) keyboard device. There must be exactly one core keyboard. If
    this option is not set here, in the ServerLayout section, or from the
    -keyboard command line option, then the first input device that is
    capable of being used as a core keyboard will be selected as the core
    keyboard. This option is implicitly set when the obsolete Keyboard
    section is used.
    Option "AlwaysCore" "boolean"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "boolean"
    Both of these options are equivalent, and when enabled cause the
    input device to always report core events. This can be used, for
    example, to allow an additional pointer device to generate core pointer
    events (like moving the cursor, etc).
    Option "HistorySize" "number"
    Sets the motion history size. Default: 0.
    Option "SendDragEvents" "boolean"
    ???

  2. Re: When should SendCoreEvents be used?

    hanumizzle@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am still not clear on this material, and I am writing a suite of X
    > config tools...this is really the only sticking point now, having
    > gotten the parser out of the way:

    [...]

    I use SendCoreEvents with laptop. It has USB mouse and integrated
    TouchPad. I set the touchpad to be the CorePointer device, and USB mouse
    to "SendCoreEvents". That way I can use them both simultaneously.

    --
    Milan Babuskov
    http://njam.sourceforge.net

  3. Re: When should SendCoreEvents be used?

    Milan Babuskov wrote:
    > hanumizzle@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I am still not clear on this material, and I am writing a suite of X
    > > config tools...this is really the only sticking point now, having
    > > gotten the parser out of the way:

    > [...]
    >
    > I use SendCoreEvents with laptop. It has USB mouse and integrated
    > TouchPad. I set the touchpad to be the CorePointer device, and USB mouse
    > to "SendCoreEvents". That way I can use them both simultaneously.

    So...this is required to enable two of the same kind of input device?

    That's odd.

+ Reply to Thread