X Window and Microsoft Windows - Xwindows

This is a discussion on X Window and Microsoft Windows - Xwindows ; I know it is possible for a Windows PC to connect to a Linux system via X using a product like Cygwin/X or Exceed. Is it possible to get two Windows PCs connected via X ? If so, what do ...

  1. X Window and Microsoft Windows

    I know it is possible for a Windows PC to connect to a Linux system via
    X using a product like Cygwin/X or Exceed.

    Is it possible to get two Windows PCs connected via X ? If so, what do
    I have do ? Looking for a product/products, any technical issues
    (re-writing software to address the X api), etc. At least a rough idea
    of where I stand, in any event

    Thanks,

    Carl

  2. Re: X Window and Microsoft Windows

    wrote in message
    news:1152812747.529760.38630@m79g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
    >I know it is possible for a Windows PC to connect to a Linux system via
    > X using a product like Cygwin/X or Exceed.
    >
    > Is it possible to get two Windows PCs connected via X ? If so, what do
    > I have do ? Looking for a product/products, any technical issues
    > (re-writing software to address the X api), etc. At least a rough idea
    > of where I stand, in any event
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Carl

    If you have an X-server running on both machines (Cygwin, Exceed, etc.),
    then it should be the same as connecting from a PC to a Linux system.
    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow

  3. Re: X Window and Microsoft Windows

    In article ,
    Fred Kleinschmidt wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >news:1152812747.529760.38630@m79g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
    >>I know it is possible for a Windows PC to connect to a Linux system via
    >> X using a product like Cygwin/X or Exceed.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to get two Windows PCs connected via X ? If so, what do
    >> I have do ? Looking for a product/products, any technical issues
    >> (re-writing software to address the X api), etc. At least a rough idea
    >> of where I stand, in any event
    >>

    >If you have an X-server running on both machines (Cygwin, Exceed, etc.),
    >then it should be the same as connecting from a PC to a Linux system.

    To avoid confusion, or possibly add to it, I would say you need an
    X _client_ running on at least one of the machines.

    Remember, it is the X server which draws the pretty pictures on the display
    and the X client that runs on the other machine.

    Say you have two machines, A and B. The user is sitting in front of A. He
    needs an X server on A to see anything. If he wishes to access B, B must
    be running an X client. Certainly Cygwin and I think Hummingbird have
    X client software for MS systems.

    Larry Headlund lmh@world.std.com Mathematical Engineering, Inc.
    (617) 242 7741
    Unix, X and Motif Consulting Speaking for myself at most.

  4. Re: X Window and Microsoft Windows

    carlbmorgan@gmail.com wrote:
    > I know it is possible for a Windows PC to connect to a Linux system via
    > X using a product like Cygwin/X or Exceed.
    >
    > Is it possible to get two Windows PCs connected via X ? If so, what do
    > I have do ? Looking for a product/products, any technical issues
    > (re-writing software to address the X api), etc. At least a rough idea
    > of where I stand, in any event

    I haven't looked at it lately, but Exceed once had a X client API for
    Windows.

    Apart from that, it doesn't matter whether the X client runs on Linux,
    Windows, VMS, whatever. To the X server, they're all X clients.

    cu,
    Martin
    --
    | Martin Vorlaender | OpenVMS rules!