mac osx 10.4 to Solaris 10 via X-Free 86 - Xwindows

This is a discussion on mac osx 10.4 to Solaris 10 via X-Free 86 - Xwindows ; Before I use VNC, is there an easy method to just connect to a newly installed Solaris 10 machine using my Mac (OS-X Tiger)? I've got Xfree 86 installed on the Mac. I've tried all the usual DISPLAY=soandso in the ...

  1. mac osx 10.4 to Solaris 10 via X-Free 86

    Before I use VNC, is there an easy method to just connect to a newly
    installed Solaris 10 machine using my Mac (OS-X Tiger)? I've got Xfree
    86 installed on the Mac. I've tried all the usual DISPLAY=soandso in
    the terminal screen, but it keeps telling me display 0 is already
    active.

    Should I just use VNC and be done with it?

  2. Re: mac osx 10.4 to Solaris 10 via X-Free 86

    buckwheat_phd@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Before I use VNC, is there an easy method to just connect to a newly
    > installed Solaris 10 machine using my Mac (OS-X Tiger)? I've got Xfree
    > 86 installed on the Mac. I've tried all the usual DISPLAY=soandso in
    > the terminal screen, but it keeps telling me display 0 is already
    > active.
    >
    > Should I just use VNC and be done with it?

    What about

    $ ssh -Y solaris-machine-hostname

    or

    $ Xnest -query solaris-machine-hostname :1

    ?

    The second one requires that you have Xnest installed on MacOS
    and that the XDMCP server on Solaris be configured to accept
    remote connections.

    --- Casantos

+ Reply to Thread