RFD: remove comp.sources.x moderated (LAST CALL FOR COMMENTS) - Xwindows

This is a discussion on RFD: remove comp.sources.x moderated (LAST CALL FOR COMMENTS) - Xwindows ; REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD) remove comp.sources.x This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) to remove the moderated newsgroup comp.sources.x. PROCEDURE: The B8MB plans to begin voting on this proposal after five days. Please offer any final discussion or comments ...

  1. RFD: remove comp.sources.x moderated (LAST CALL FOR COMMENTS)

    REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
    remove comp.sources.x

    This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) to remove the moderated
    newsgroup comp.sources.x.

    PROCEDURE:

    The B8MB plans to begin voting on this proposal after five days. Please
    offer any final discussion or comments before the end of this waiting
    period. Voting may take up to one week (7 days); a result will be posted
    following the end of the voting period.

    All discussion of this proposal should be posted to news.groups.

    The full (draft) group removal procedure is documented here:

    http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.p...licies:rmgroup

    SUMMARY OF DISCUSSION:

    There were no comments made.

    RATIONALE: remove comp.sources.x

    The last approved message was in March 1995.

    There are other more suitable means of distributing program sources,
    so comp.sources.x is not a suitable candidate for conversion to an
    unmoderated newsgroup.

    HISTORY:

    The newsgroup comp.sources.x was created in August 1988, with the first
    approved message in August 1988. The charter (from the initial welcome
    message posted to the group) was:

    Welcome to comp.sources.x. This group is intended for software that
    runs only on X. I have talked with the moderators of comp.sources.unix
    and comp.sources.games and we agree that if the software is of interest
    to people that don't use X it should be posted to one of those groups.
    If I determine that a posting should be handled in another group, I will
    forward it to the moderator and inform the poster.

    DISTRIBUTION:

    This document has been posted to the following newsgroups:

    news.announce.newgroups
    news.groups
    comp.sources.x
    comp.windows.x

    PROPONENT:

    Jim Riley

    CHANGE HISTORY:

    2006-07-06 2nd RFD (Last Call for Comments)
    2006-06-26 RFD posted
    2006-06-16 RFD received

  2. Re: RFD: remove comp.sources.x moderated (LAST CALL FOR COMMENTS)

    On 6 Jul 2006 18:19:15 -0700, nojunk@gate.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br wrote:

    >Jim Riley wrote:
    >> REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
    >> remove comp.sources.x
    >>
    >> This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) to remove the moderated
    >> newsgroup comp.sources.x.

    >Will this remotion affect web-accessible archives (e.g. Google groups)?

    Google maintains removed newsgroups in their archive. They don't let people post
    to them, or at least do not propagate the articles outward.

    If you wish to get an X source from 1995, you can get it from Google.

    On the other hand, Google archives are probably not the best place to get source
    code. Google makes some transformations of articles, for example, obscuring
    things that look like e-mail addresses, and you would have to cut the source from
    the newsgroup article in the Google archive to get the actual source that could be
    compiled.
    --
    Jim Riley

+ Reply to Thread