how to move a window with XMoveWindow()? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on how to move a window with XMoveWindow()? - Xwindows ; So I want to be able to move around all the windows on my desktop. I can use XQueryTree to get my window IDs but when I call XMoveWindow() on a window that I want to move nothing happens. However ...

  1. how to move a window with XMoveWindow()?

    So I want to be able to move around all the windows on my desktop.

    I can use XQueryTree to get my window IDs but when I call XMoveWindow()
    on a window that I want to move nothing happens. However I can move
    around the application panel in this way...

    I tried setting the override redirect attribute to true but that didn't
    help.
    Any thoughts?
    Would I need to change the window position hints to do this?

    Thanks

  2. Re: how to move a window with XMoveWindow()?

    On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 20:36:03 -0700, chess314 wrote:

    > So I want to be able to move around all the windows on my desktop.
    >
    > I can use XQueryTree to get my window IDs but when I call XMoveWindow() on
    > a window that I want to move nothing happens. However I can move around
    > the application panel in this way...
    >
    > I tried setting the override redirect attribute to true but that didn't
    > help.
    > Any thoughts?
    > Would I need to change the window position hints to do this?
    >
    > Thanks

    I'm not sure, but you're probably fighting with the window manager, in
    the sense that you're either moving the wrong window (many window managers
    use XReparentWindow, so that the application window is no longer directly
    under the root and the parenting window is under the window manager's
    control, allowing for some interesting decorations) or the window manager
    is rejecting your move window request or something. I'd frankly have to
    prototype it.

    Two plans of attack are possible here.

    [1] Have you tried your code without a window manager? It's simple enough
    to do a "failsafe" session, for example. Of course all this proves is
    that your code might work given no window manager, but it's a start.

    [2] Have you tried a different window manager?

    Override redirect isn't really all that applicable here; it's primarily
    used to create such things as pop-up menus.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

+ Reply to Thread