Widget update - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Widget update - Xwindows ; Hi all, please excuse my ignorance, I am not really familiar with xwindows and motif programming, but I have to fix some older code. The situation is as follows: there is a table (rowcolumn container with widgets) that has a ...

  1. Widget update

    Hi all,

    please excuse my ignorance, I am not really familiar with xwindows and
    motif programming, but I have to fix some older code. The situation is
    as follows: there is a table (rowcolumn container with widgets) that
    has a row header and a column header. It also has to be scrolled in
    both directions. The thing is that when scrolled the headers are not
    visible, so I have to detach them, which I already did, by placing them
    in a separate rowcolumn, and scroll them in a synchronus manner with
    the table itself, which I already did by setting some callbacks and
    moving the new rowcolumns along with the scrollbars. The thing is that
    when the rowcolumns are moved, only the visible widgets (a set of
    labels) are drawn: that is the hidden widgets are not updated. The last
    widget to the right is actually drawn half while scrolling left. Now it
    seems that - since something is drawn - the windows server is not
    informed to invalidate the rectangle that is exposed and redraw it. I
    tried some tricks to force a redraw but nothing worked. It seems that I
    have to notify that a new rectangle is exposed somehow. Any ideas will
    be greatly appreciated!

    TIA

    BR

    ds

  2. Re: Widget update

    dps wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > please excuse my ignorance, I am not really familiar with xwindows and
    > motif programming, but I have to fix some older code. The situation is
    > as follows: there is a table (rowcolumn container with widgets) that
    > has a row header and a column header. It also has to be scrolled in
    > both directions. The thing is that when scrolled the headers are not
    > visible, so I have to detach them, which I already did, by placing them
    > in a separate rowcolumn, and scroll them in a synchronus manner with
    > the table itself, which I already did by setting some callbacks and
    > moving the new rowcolumns along with the scrollbars. The thing is that
    > when the rowcolumns are moved, only the visible widgets (a set of
    > labels) are drawn: that is the hidden widgets are not updated. The last
    > widget to the right is actually drawn half while scrolling left. Now it
    > seems that - since something is drawn - the windows server is not
    > informed to invalidate the rectangle that is exposed and redraw it. I
    > tried some tricks to force a redraw but nothing worked. It seems that I
    > have to notify that a new rectangle is exposed somehow. Any ideas will
    > be greatly appreciated!

    Maybe comp.windows.x.motif would be more appropriate?

    Anyway - replacing the rowcolumn by an XbaeMatrix widget seems the
    easiest way. RC was definitely never intended for such use.
    http://xbae.sourceforge.net/

    --
    Michel Bardiaux
    R&D Director

    Mediaxim NV/SA
    Vorstlaan 191 Boulevard du Souverain
    Brussel 1160 Bruxelles
    http://www.mediaxim.com/

  3. Re: Widget update

    Hello Michel,

    thanks for the answer, I'll also try the motif group. I cannot use
    anything but what I already have... Also it is not a matter of the
    RowColumn widget itself, rather than the way to force the labels inside
    the rowcolumn to redraw when it is moved, just as it happens when the
    rowcolumn is placed in a scrollwindow.

    Thanks again for the answer!!

    dps

  4. Re: Widget update

    FWIW I got a dirty hack: move the labels instead of the container!

+ Reply to Thread