X GUI builder that generates code that will also run under MS-Windows - Xwindows

This is a discussion on X GUI builder that generates code that will also run under MS-Windows - Xwindows ; I am an X Windows GUI writer and have always used Motif and Linux or UNIX but our company has a need for a GUI that runs under both X Windows/Linux/UNIX and also under MS-windows. I am trying to figure ...

  1. X GUI builder that generates code that will also run under MS-Windows

    I am an X Windows GUI writer and have always used Motif and Linux or
    UNIX but our company has a need for a GUI that runs under both X
    Windows/Linux/UNIX and also under MS-windows.

    I am trying to figure out the best GUI builder to use to create the new
    GUI. I know the GUI code will need to be recompiled and relinked to
    run under the different environments but my company really wants one
    code base.

    Is this possible? One suggestion I received is to use Qt by Trolltech
    but I am not sure how active the user community is for that and I think
    it's nice to have an active user base since it gives you a good feeling
    about the longetivity of the product and that people are happy with it.
    Qt sounds perfect since it claims to generate code that runs under
    both X Windows and MS-Windows.

    I am really interested in the thoughts of other X GUI writers out
    there. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    Thank you!
    Julie

  2. Re: X GUI builder that generates code that will also run under MS-Windows

    On 2006-06-21, jusugar@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am an X Windows GUI writer and have always used Motif and Linux or
    > UNIX but our company has a need for a GUI that runs under both X
    > Windows/Linux/UNIX and also under MS-windows.
    >
    > I am trying to figure out the best GUI builder to use to create the new
    > GUI. I know the GUI code will need to be recompiled and relinked to
    > run under the different environments but my company really wants one
    > code base.
    >
    > Is this possible? One suggestion I received is to use Qt by Trolltech
    > but I am not sure how active the user community is for that and I think
    > it's nice to have an active user base since it gives you a good feeling
    > about the longetivity of the product and that people are happy with it.
    > Qt sounds perfect since it claims to generate code that runs under
    > both X Windows and MS-Windows.
    >
    > I am really interested in the thoughts of other X GUI writers out
    > there. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    wxWidgets might be something to have a look at.

    --- Jan

  3. Re: X GUI builder that generates code that will also run under MS-Windows

    wrote in message
    news:1150903392.080976.156400@p79g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
    >I am an X Windows GUI writer and have always used Motif and Linux or
    > UNIX but our company has a need for a GUI that runs under both X
    > Windows/Linux/UNIX and also under MS-windows.
    >
    > I am trying to figure out the best GUI builder to use to create the new
    > GUI. I know the GUI code will need to be recompiled and relinked to
    > run under the different environments but my company really wants one
    > code base.
    >
    > Is this possible? One suggestion I received is to use Qt by Trolltech
    > but I am not sure how active the user community is for that and I think
    > it's nice to have an active user base since it gives you a good feeling
    > about the longetivity of the product and that people are happy with it.
    > Qt sounds perfect since it claims to generate code that runs under
    > both X Windows and MS-Windows.
    >
    > I am really interested in the thoughts of other X GUI writers out
    > there. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    >
    > Thank you!
    > Julie

    We have successfully ported many UNix Motif apps to MS-Windows with minimal
    code changes by installing Cygwin on the PC and using the Hummingbird eXceed
    X server.
    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow

  4. Re: X GUI builder that generates code that will also run under MS-Windows

    "Fred Kleinschmidt" writes:

    > We have successfully ported many UNix Motif apps to MS-Windows with minimal
    > code changes by installing Cygwin on the PC and using the Hummingbird eXceed
    > X server.

    The X server (X.org) that comes with cygwin is probably cheaper, and
    works quite well.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@inprovide.com

  5. Re: X GUI builder that generates code that will also run under MS-Windows

+ Reply to Thread