X GUI builder that generates code that will also run under MS-Windows - Xwindows

This is a discussion on X GUI builder that generates code that will also run under MS-Windows - Xwindows ; I am an X Windows GUI writer and have always used Motif and Linux or UNIX but our company has a need for a GUI that runs under both X Windows/Linux/UNIX and also under MS-windows. I am trying to figure ...

  1. X GUI builder that generates code that will also run under MS-Windows

    I am an X Windows GUI writer and have always used Motif and Linux or
    UNIX but our company has a need for a GUI that runs under both X
    Windows/Linux/UNIX and also under MS-windows.

    I am trying to figure out the best GUI builder to use to create the new
    GUI. I know the GUI code will need to be recompiled and relinked to
    run under the different environments but my company really wants one
    code base.

    Is this possible? One suggestion I received is to use Qt by Trolltech
    but I am not sure how active the user community is for that and I think
    it's nice to have an active user base since it gives you a good feeling
    about the longetivity of the product and that people are happy with it.
    Qt sounds perfect since it claims to generate code that runs under
    both X Windows and MS-Windows.

    I am really interested in the thoughts of other X GUI writers out
    there. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    Thank you!
    Julie

  2. Re: X GUI builder that generates code that will also run under MS-Windows

    jusugar@gmail.com writes:

    > I am an X Windows GUI writer and have always used Motif and Linux or
    > UNIX but our company has a need for a GUI that runs under both X
    > Windows/Linux/UNIX and also under MS-windows.
    >
    > I am trying to figure out the best GUI builder to use to create the new
    > GUI. I know the GUI code will need to be recompiled and relinked to
    > run under the different environments but my company really wants one
    > code base.
    >
    > Is this possible? One suggestion I received is to use Qt by Trolltech
    > but I am not sure how active the user community is for that and I think
    > it's nice to have an active user base since it gives you a good feeling
    > about the longetivity of the product and that people are happy with it.
    > Qt sounds perfect since it claims to generate code that runs under
    > both X Windows and MS-Windows.

    I would say qt has a strong user base and an active user community. KDE,
    the popular Linux windows manager, opera, the browser is two successfull
    projects using qt.

    If you plan to release the program under GPL, you can get a GPL licenced
    qt library. If you writing closed source you need to pay for a commercial
    qt licence.
    Wxwidgets is another cross-plattform gui library with a BSD style licence.
    Then you can implement first and decide licencing later.

    --
    espen

+ Reply to Thread