Case Sensitivity in xorg.conf - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Case Sensitivity in xorg.conf - Xwindows ; I will be writing a Parse::RecDescent grammar for xorg.conf files, but hit a critical stumbling block: I am not sure *exactly* which parts of the file are case-sensitive, and a brief rundown of the source and documentation suggests that most ...

  1. Case Sensitivity in xorg.conf

    I will be writing a Parse::RecDescent grammar for xorg.conf files, but
    hit a critical stumbling block: I am not sure *exactly* which parts of
    the file are case-sensitive, and a brief rundown of the source and
    documentation suggests that most aren't. Arguments to load and
    filenames, as with FontPath (this is on Linux) are obviously sensitive
    to case; is there anything else I missed??

    Cheers,
    hanu

  2. Re: Case Sensitivity in xorg.conf

    hanumizzle@gmail.com wrote:
    > I will be writing a Parse::RecDescent grammar for xorg.conf files, but
    > hit a critical stumbling block: I am not sure *exactly* which parts of
    > the file are case-sensitive, and a brief rundown of the source and
    > documentation suggests that most aren't. Arguments to load and
    > filenames, as with FontPath (this is on Linux) are obviously sensitive
    > to case; is there anything else I missed??
    >
    > Cheers,
    > hanu

    Hello? This is pretty important...

  3. Re: Case Sensitivity in xorg.conf

    On 6/7/2006 2:18 PM, * hanumizzle@gmail.com wrote:
    > hanumizzle@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I will be writing a Parse::RecDescent grammar for xorg.conf files, but
    >> hit a critical stumbling block: I am not sure *exactly* which parts of
    >> the file are case-sensitive, and a brief rundown of the source and
    >> documentation suggests that most aren't. Arguments to load and
    >> filenames, as with FontPath (this is on Linux) are obviously sensitive
    >> to case; is there anything else I missed??
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> hanu

    > Hello? This is pretty important...

    Dude, it's only been like a day since your original post.
    Allow some time for it to propagate and then get read.

    That said, I don't have an answer. :-)

    --
    ==ANIME SENSHI==
    Marc D. Williams

  4. Re: Case Sensitivity in xorg.conf

    Marc D. Williams wrote:
    > On 6/7/2006 2:18 PM, * hanumizzle@gmail.com wrote:
    > > hanumizzle@gmail.com wrote:
    > >> I will be writing a Parse::RecDescent grammar for xorg.conf files, but
    > >> hit a critical stumbling block: I am not sure *exactly* which parts of
    > >> the file are case-sensitive, and a brief rundown of the source and
    > >> documentation suggests that most aren't. Arguments to load and
    > >> filenames, as with FontPath (this is on Linux) are obviously sensitive
    > >> to case; is there anything else I missed??
    > >>
    > >> Cheers,
    > >> hanu

    > > Hello? This is pretty important...
    > >

    > Dude, it's only been like a day since your original post.
    > Allow some time for it to propagate and then get read.

    Well, ya see, I've had threads like this where there was no answer,
    period, and I got left holding the bag... :?

  5. Re: Case Sensitivity in xorg.conf

    hanumizzle@gmail.com writes:

    > hanumizzle@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I will be writing a Parse::RecDescent grammar for xorg.conf files, but
    >> hit a critical stumbling block: I am not sure *exactly* which parts of
    >> the file are case-sensitive, and a brief rundown of the source and
    >> documentation suggests that most aren't. Arguments to load and
    >> filenames, as with FontPath (this is on Linux) are obviously sensitive
    >> to case; is there anything else I missed??
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> hanu

    > Hello? This is pretty important...

    I doubt there are all that many people that are experts on
    the case sensitivity of xorg.conf. (If any.)

    Even the xorg developers would have dealt with the case of
    the file on a field by field basis.

    I think you are on your own.
    Fortunately, you have the source code.

  6. Re: Case Sensitivity in xorg.conf

    hanumizzle@gmail.com wrote:
    > I will be writing a Parse::RecDescent grammar for xorg.conf files, but
    > hit a critical stumbling block: I am not sure *exactly* which parts of
    > the file are case-sensitive, and a brief rundown of the source and
    > documentation suggests that most aren't. Arguments to load and
    > filenames, as with FontPath (this is on Linux) are obviously sensitive
    > to case; is there anything else I missed??

    man xorg.conf tells that

    Config file keywords are case-insensitive, and "_" characters
    are ignored. Most strings (including Option names) are also case-
    insensitive, and insensitive to white space and "_" characters.

    I'd suggest you to generate a xorg.conf and use tr to rewrite it in all
    lower case an upper case to see what Xorg says about it.

    --- Casantos

  7. Re: Case Sensitivity in xorg.conf

    hanumizzle@gmail.com writes in comp.windows.x:
    |hanumizzle@gmail.com wrote:
    |> I will be writing a Parse::RecDescent grammar for xorg.conf files, but
    |> hit a critical stumbling block: I am not sure *exactly* which parts of
    |> the file are case-sensitive, and a brief rundown of the source and
    |> documentation suggests that most aren't. Arguments to load and
    |> filenames, as with FontPath (this is on Linux) are obviously sensitive
    |> to case; is there anything else I missed??
    |>
    |> Cheers,
    |> hanu
    |
    |Hello? This is pretty important...

    It has a much much much higher participation rate by the people who
    currently work on Xorg than this newsgroup does.

    --
    Alan Coopersmith * alanc@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
    http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/ * http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/

  8. Re: Case Sensitivity in xorg.conf

    Alan Coopersmith wrote:
    > hanumizzle@gmail.com writes in comp.windows.x:
    > |hanumizzle@gmail.com wrote:
    > |> I will be writing a Parse::RecDescent grammar for xorg.conf files, but
    > |> hit a critical stumbling block: I am not sure *exactly* which parts of
    > |> the file are case-sensitive, and a brief rundown of the source and
    > |> documentation suggests that most aren't. Arguments to load and
    > |> filenames, as with FontPath (this is on Linux) are obviously sensitive
    > |> to case; is there anything else I missed??
    > |>
    > |> Cheers,
    > |> hanu
    > |
    > |Hello? This is pretty important...

    > It has a much much much higher participation rate by the people who
    > currently work on Xorg than this newsgroup does.

    Hey, thanks!

+ Reply to Thread