Maximum number of X clients - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Maximum number of X clients - Xwindows ; Hi, What are maximum number of applications that can be run on an X server? Is there any scenario where this becomes a bottleneck and pose problems. Thanks, NK...

  1. Maximum number of X clients

    Hi,
    What are maximum number of applications that can be run on an X server?
    Is there any scenario where this becomes a bottleneck and pose
    problems.

    Thanks,
    NK

  2. Re: Maximum number of X clients

    On Fri, 26 May 2006 04:58:53 -0700, naveenbvk229 wrote:

    > Hi,
    > What are maximum number of applications that can be run on an X server?
    > Is there any scenario where this becomes a bottleneck and pose
    > problems.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > NK

    If there is a hardcoded maximum other than, maybe, the number of
    simultaneously open files/sockets on a machine, I for one am not aware of
    it. Of course there are the usual culprits for limitations: RAM and CPU
    utilization.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

  3. Re: Maximum number of X clients

    naveenbvk229@gmail.com writes in comp.windows.x:
    |What are maximum number of applications that can be run on an X server?

    Depends on the X server. Common limits are 128, 256 or 1024 clients.

    |Is there any scenario where this becomes a bottleneck and pose
    |problems.

    In most implementations, the resource id space is divided up into chunks
    by the maximum number of clients at X server startup, so too high of a
    maximum leaves fewer resource ids per client.

    --
    Alan Coopersmith * alanc@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
    http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/ * http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/

  4. Re: Maximum number of X clients

    Alan Coopersmith wrote:
    > naveenbvk229@gmail.com writes in comp.windows.x:
    > |What are maximum number of applications that can be run on an X server?

    > Depends on the X server. Common limits are 128, 256 or 1024 clients.

    Or rather, the environment from where the X server is started. It inhertis
    this from the shell, e.g.:

    ft@alne:/home3/ft/q>limit descriptors
    descriptors 1024

    In my ~/.profile I have:

    unlimit descriptors

    -Frode

    --
    ^ Frode TennebÝ | email: Frode.Tennebo@ericsson.com ^
    | Ericsson AS., N-1788 Halden | Phone: +47 67 25 09 39 |

  5. Re: Maximum number of X clients

    naveenbvk229@gmail.com toggled some bits and produced:
    > Hi,
    > What are maximum number of applications that can be run on an X server?
    > Is there any scenario where this becomes a bottleneck and pose
    > problems.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > NK

    There are ulimits to contend with and hard limits of the OS on sockets
    and file descriptors, as I believe others have probably mentioned.

    A common problem that it seems hasn't been solved properly in X is the
    XID leak. It's deficient by design. Eventually after allocating XIDs
    over a period X is unable to allocate any more XIDs for a client, so it
    must be restarted.

    Tk solves this by hooking into the private display structure internals,
    and replacing the core allocator. Then every XID allocated must go
    through Tk_FreeXId(). See the sources to Tk to see an explanation.

    From what I've seen Gdk/Gtk+ doesn't solve this problem at all, so some
    apps just die after a while.

    Some other toolkits have the same problems.

    The XID or X identifier is used for Pixmaps, XdbeBackBuffers, GCs, and
    Cursors.

    -George

  6. Re: Maximum number of X clients

    Frode Tenneboe writes in comp.windows.x:
    |Alan Coopersmith wrote:
    |> naveenbvk229@gmail.com writes in comp.windows.x:
    |> |What are maximum number of applications that can be run on an X server?
    |
    |> Depends on the X server. Common limits are 128, 256 or 1024 clients.
    |
    |Or rather, the environment from where the X server is started. It inhertis
    |this from the shell, e.g.:
    |
    |ft@alne:/home3/ft/q>limit descriptors
    |descriptors 1024

    Partially - the number of clients is bounded by both the number of file
    descriptors it can open and the size of the clients table built into the
    X server. It can be no larger than the lowest of either of those - so
    even if you set your fd limit to 65535, you won't get more than 1024
    clients if your Xserver was built with a 1024-entry client table.