Upgrading from Exceed 6.2 to Exceed 2006 - Is it worth it? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Upgrading from Exceed 6.2 to Exceed 2006 - Is it worth it? - Xwindows ; I have been using Exceed 6.2 for several years now (on Windows 2000). I finally got to realize that I haven't updated Exceed for quite a few versions... (five?). A colegue of mine got the latest & greatest Exceed 2006 ...

  1. Upgrading from Exceed 6.2 to Exceed 2006 - Is it worth it?

    I have been using Exceed 6.2 for several years now (on Windows 2000).

    I finally got to realize that I haven't updated Exceed for quite a few
    versions... (five?).

    A colegue of mine got the latest & greatest Exceed 2006 (aka version
    11) and so I briefly looked at what he got in his installation and
    didn't notice any significant difference.

    I am mainly using Exceed's X server capabilities (telneting to a remote
    Linux box and running its apps on Windows - each app/xterm in its own
    window). I am using telnet for this and I was hoping to see SSH support
    integrated into the latest version of Exceed, but... I couldn't find
    one.

    >From my point of view, upgrading from 6.2 to 2006 is worth it if the

    latter supports "telneting" using SSH in its X-Client profile. Do you
    know whether this is supported (in any version of Exceed)? If so, where
    is it hidden?

    Other features in 2006 that you think are worth the upgrade?

    Thanks,
    Alex

  2. Re: Upgrading from Exceed 6.2 to Exceed 2006 - Is it worth it?

    > >From my point of view, upgrading from 6.2 to 2006 is worth it if the

    > latter supports "telneting"using SSH in its X-Client profile

    You might check out the WinaXe product, which includes built-in SSH
    telnet support. I've had good luck with it for the last couple years or
    so, including using SSH. I think that Putty with Exceed works well for
    SSH, too, although I don't have as much experience with that.

  3. Re: Upgrading from Exceed 6.2 to Exceed 2006 - Is it worth it?

    gboh wrote:

    > > >From my point of view, upgrading from 6.2 to 2006 is worth it if the

    > > latter supports "telneting" using SSH in its X-Client profile

    > You might check out the WinaXe product, which includes built-in SSH
    > telnet support. I've had good luck with it for the last couple years or
    > so, including using SSH. I think that Putty with Exceed works well for
    > SSH, too, although I don't have as much experience with that.

    Oh wow - thanks for the reply after so long. I almost gave up on an
    answer. :-)

    And thanks for pointing out WinaXe - I didn't know about its existence.
    I will surely check that.

    I know about the possibility of tying between Putty and Exceed to work
    in SSH, but comparing to the built-in telnet, rshd etc. convenience in
    Exceed, this solution is relatively cumbersome.
    I will check WinaXe out.

    Or... since I am switching to Ubuntu (Linux) anyway, who needs Exceed?
    :-)

    Thanks,
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread