X traffic source - Xwindows

This is a discussion on X traffic source - Xwindows ; Is there anyway to tell what machine or process is sending X the most request or using up most of the X servers time ? On one of our machines X is really busy but there are a number of ...

  1. X traffic source

    Is there anyway to tell what machine or process is sending X the most
    request or using up most of the X servers time ?

    On one of our machines X is really busy but there are a number of apps
    running each doing things and some running on other machines and
    displaying to the remote X server.

    We are wondering if there is a way to tell what app is the culprit or
    at least what machine is.

  2. Re: X traffic source

    TimeTraveller wrote:
    > Is there anyway to tell what machine or process is sending X the most
    > request or using up most of the X servers time ?
    >
    > On one of our machines X is really busy but there are a number of apps
    > running each doing things and some running on other machines and
    > displaying to the remote X server.
    >
    > We are wondering if there is a way to tell what app is the culprit or
    > at least what machine is.

    Search for "tcpdump 'x window' traffic" at google. You will get
    pointers to several papers on X Window traffic measurement.

    --- Casantos

  3. Re: X traffic source

    TimeTraveller wrote:
    > Is there anyway to tell what machine or process is sending X the most
    > request or using up most of the X servers time ?
    >
    > On one of our machines X is really busy but there are a number of apps
    > running each doing things and some running on other machines and
    > displaying to the remote X server.
    >
    > We are wondering if there is a way to tell what app is the culprit or
    > at least what machine is.

    xrestop might help in addition to the tcpdump tool already mentioned.
    pkgsrc has it, and I think you can get it elsewhere too.

    -George

+ Reply to Thread