Re: Xv proprietory or shipped with X? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Re: Xv proprietory or shipped with X? - Xwindows ; On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 21:33:02 -0800, NUPUL wrote: > A few days back one of the group members suggested that I use Xv for > setting the background of the root Window. I didn't hve Xv on my distro ...

  1. Re: Xv proprietory or shipped with X?

    On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 21:33:02 -0800, NUPUL wrote:

    > A few days back one of the group members suggested that I use Xv for
    > setting the background of the root Window. I didn't hve Xv on my distro
    > so I browsed for it. On another PC I did find it pre installed. The one
    > I browsed for wasn't licensed under GPL but was for sale. Which Xv is
    > actually run on X?

    Xv is open source, but not GPL. It's free for non commercial use. Some
    distros ship with it (eg suse) some do not (eg RedHat, last time I looked)

    -Ed

    --
    (You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.) (er258)(@)(eng.cam)(.ac.uk)

    /d{def}def/f{/Times findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5/m
    {moveto}d -1 r 230 350 m 0 1 179{1 index show 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}
    for /s 15 d f pop 240 420 m 0 1 3 { 4 2 1 r sub -1 r show } for showpage

  2. Re: Xv proprietory or shipped with X?

    E. Rosten wrote:

    > Xv is open source, but not GPL. It's free for non commercial use. Some
    > distros ship with it (eg suse) some do not (eg RedHat, last time I looked)

    The source code is available, but Xv is not Open Source in the sense of
    the
    Open Source Definition (http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php).

    --- Casantos

+ Reply to Thread