Is "partial" Xinerama possible? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Is "partial" Xinerama possible? - Xwindows ; Hello! My computer has 4 monitors attached via 3 video cards. 3 of the monitors are of the same make and model, while the 4th one is quite different. I'd like to have the 3 identical ones joined into one ...

  1. Is "partial" Xinerama possible?

    Hello!

    My computer has 4 monitors attached via 3 video cards. 3 of the monitors are
    of the same make and model, while the 4th one is quite different.

    I'd like to have the 3 identical ones joined into one Screen (the main :0.0)
    via Xinerama, but keep the 4th one separate (as :0.1).

    Is this possible even in theory with the current Xorg-6.9.0 (or latest
    XFree86?) Whatever I do, I get either all four screens joined together
    (which sucks, because the 4th has a different resolution), or none at all.

    Thanks!

    -mi

  2. Re: Is "partial" Xinerama possible?

    Mikhail Teterin writes in comp.windows.x:
    |Is this possible even in theory with the current Xorg-6.9.0 (or latest
    |XFree86?) Whatever I do, I get either all four screens joined together
    |(which sucks, because the 4th has a different resolution), or none at all.

    Not with the current Xinerama implementation. The best you could do is
    if you had a card that had 3 or 4 outputs and could used MergedFB mode
    on that card and put the other monitor on a separate card.

    --
    Alan Coopersmith * alanc@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
    http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/ * http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/

  3. Re: Is "partial" Xinerama possible?

    Alan Coopersmith wrote:

    > The best you could do is if you had a card that had 3 or 4 outputs and
    > could used MergedFB mode on that card and put the other monitor on a
    > separate card.

    Yes, this is what I ended up doing. Unfortunately, it confuses the KDE
    desktop running on the two other Screens into thinking, they all have
    Xinerama enabled too.

    I guess, the KDE code, that determines, whether or not there is Xinerama is
    per-server instead of per-screen :-(

    -mi

+ Reply to Thread