switching X configurations or keeping X session - Xwindows

This is a discussion on switching X configurations or keeping X session - Xwindows ; Hello! I would like to switch between single and dual head modes without shutting down X. As for now i've prepared separate ServerLayout sections in my X config file. But is there a way to switch between them other than ...

  1. switching X configurations or keeping X session

    Hello!

    I would like to switch between single and dual head modes without
    shutting down X. As for now i've prepared separate ServerLayout
    sections in my X config file. But is there a way to switch between them
    other than by selecting one at startup?
    I am not sure if it relyes on hardware driver capabilities or what, so
    I've been also thinking about that, all i need is to keep all the
    windows open. And here comes another question, if it is possible to
    disconnect from X (without closing the user session) and connect there
    later, ie. after changing the screen parameters?

    I use xorg at an i386 architecture with ati radeon mobility m6 graphics
    card.

  2. Re: switching X configurations or keeping X session

    jacekp@siat.pl wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I would like to switch between single and dual head modes without
    > shutting down X. As for now i've prepared separate ServerLayout
    > sections in my X config file. But is there a way to switch between them
    > other than by selecting one at startup?

    No.

    > I am not sure if it relyes on hardware driver capabilities or what, so
    > I've been also thinking about that, all i need is to keep all the
    > windows open. And here comes another question, if it is possible to
    > disconnect from X (without closing the user session) and connect there
    > later, ie. after changing the screen parameters?

    I think xvnc can do that but i haven't tried.

    > I use xorg at an i386 architecture with ati radeon mobility m6 graphics
    > card.

    If you have an X session manager and your applications use the X session
    protocol, then you can restart X and all the applications should open the
    same way they closed.

+ Reply to Thread