Re: is communication with a window manager via X? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Re: is communication with a window manager via X? - Xwindows ; NUPUL wrote: > hi group, > > Most window managers are ICCCM compliant. A list of properties etc has > been highlighted by ICCCM. how does one communicate i.e. (set/get) > these properties with a WM? > > when i ...

  1. Re: is communication with a window manager via X?

    NUPUL wrote:
    > hi group,
    >
    > Most window managers are ICCCM compliant. A list of properties etc has
    > been highlighted by ICCCM. how does one communicate i.e. (set/get)
    > these properties with a WM?
    >
    > when i execute xprop on xterm and click on any window I get a list of
    > all X properties set for that window. How can i get the WM to set these
    > properties....do i need to go via X - I mean using Xlib?
    >
    > eg: Icewm, wmaker, metacity are all ICCCM compliant. So how does any
    > desktop manager communicate with the underlying window manager to set
    > the desired properties etc??
    >
    > Am completely confused about this...pls help.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Nupul

    An X application just sets properties on its top-level window and that's it.
    Some messages received by the app come from the window manager, but the app
    often doesn't know or care whether they came from the wm. X apps are designed
    to work even if there's no wm. To send and receive detailed messages between
    the app and wm requires a private protocol known to both. See wmctrl
    http://www.sweb.cz/tripie/utils/wmctrl/

  2. Re: is communication with a window manager via X?

    NUPUL wrote:
    > Russell Shaw wrote:
    >
    >>An X application just sets properties on its top-level window and that's it.
    >>Some messages received by the app come from the window manager, but the app
    >>often doesn't know or care whether they came from the wm. X apps are designed
    >>to work even if there's no wm. To send and receive detailed messages between
    >>the app and wm requires a private protocol known to both.

    > Assume that the NET protocol as laid down by
    > freedesktop.org/wiki/standards/wm-spec.html). Is there any provision in
    > X to communicate these properties via the NET protocol?
    >
    >>See wmctrl
    >>http://www.sweb.cz/tripie/utils/wmctrl/

    > thanks for the link...I did use it, but I still would like to achieve
    > the communication without using a 3rd party product.

    NET protocol in wm-spec.html specifies nothing more than a bunch of
    X properties that are set on the root window and application top-level
    window just like the old non-NET properties. It specifies nothing about
    telling the WM to do anything. They're all just hints.

+ Reply to Thread