X and display resolution - Xwindows

This is a discussion on X and display resolution - Xwindows ; Hi all, I installed debian on an old machine a while ago which had a 15" monitor. I recently bought a KVM switch and used it to hook up the debian box to the 19" monitor. The problem is, X ...

  1. X and display resolution

    Hi all,

    I installed debian on an old machine a while ago which had a 15" monitor. I
    recently bought a KVM switch and used it to hook up the debian box to the
    19" monitor. The problem is, X is configured for the resolutions of the 15"
    monitor, and I can't get it to list the resolutions that the 19" monitor
    supports.

    I tried to configure it running the XConfig (not sure the exact command),
    but I may have done something wrong because I still see the same list of
    resolutions (800 x 600 & 640 x 480).

    Does the resolution have any dependancy on the video driver or just the
    monitor?

    Any help is greatly appreciated!

    /

  2. Re: X and display resolution

    You can fix this by manually editing the X config file
    (either /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XF86Config).

    Under "Section Screen", go to "Subsection Display", and
    manuall add resolutions to the Modes line, like this:

    Modes "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    Then restart X or reboot, and lpay with Ctrl-Alt-KPPlus and
    Ctrl-Alt-KeypadMinux to see which modes are actually supported.
    Repeat :-) Caution: X will start in the first listed resultions (in the
    example
    above, 1152x864. If it turns out not supoprted, you'll se garbled
    screen but
    don't panic: use Ctrl-Alt-KeyPadPlus one or more times. Or start with
    line like this:
    Modes "800x600" "640x480" "1152x864" "1024x768"
    and later change it to final line when you figure out which resolutions
    actually work. Always keep a copy of original X config file.

    One problem that can sometimes prevent auto-configutation to
    detect higher resolutions is that autoconfiguration cannot know
    detect memory size of the adapter, AFAIK. If autoconfig is given
    smaller
    memory size than actual size, then autoconf will not use higher
    resolutions.
    Then you need to play manually with X11 config file as I described
    above.

    Yakov

  3. Re: X and display resolution

    Sweet. Thanks for the info! I will try this as soon as I get a chance.

    /

    "Yakov Lerner" wrote in message
    news:1142785865.360472.76600@u72g2000cwu.googlegro ups.com...
    > You can fix this by manually editing the X config file
    > (either /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XF86Config).
    >
    > Under "Section Screen", go to "Subsection Display", and
    > manuall add resolutions to the Modes line, like this:
    >
    > Modes "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    > Then restart X or reboot, and lpay with Ctrl-Alt-KPPlus and
    > Ctrl-Alt-KeypadMinux to see which modes are actually supported.
    > Repeat :-) Caution: X will start in the first listed resultions (in the
    > example
    > above, 1152x864. If it turns out not supoprted, you'll se garbled
    > screen but
    > don't panic: use Ctrl-Alt-KeyPadPlus one or more times. Or start with
    > line like this:
    > Modes "800x600" "640x480" "1152x864" "1024x768"
    > and later change it to final line when you figure out which resolutions
    > actually work. Always keep a copy of original X config file.
    >
    > One problem that can sometimes prevent auto-configutation to
    > detect higher resolutions is that autoconfiguration cannot know
    > detect memory size of the adapter, AFAIK. If autoconfig is given
    > smaller
    > memory size than actual size, then autoconf will not use higher
    > resolutions.
    > Then you need to play manually with X11 config file as I described
    > above.
    >
    > Yakov

+ Reply to Thread